CARS HOMES JOBS

Workers exposed to chemical at College of Nanoscale Science & Engineering

Monday, April 15, 2013
Text Size: A | A

— Five workers unpacking a tool at the College of Nanoscale Science & Engineering were evaluated this morning after being exposed to a chemical they shouldn’t have been exposed to, Albany fire officials said.

No serious injuries were reported. Three employees were taken for evaluation, two others refused medical treatment.

The incident was called in at about 9:21 a.m. at a building at 141 Fuller Road. Workers were unpacking the tool, one the college will use to make its wafers, when they were exposed to a 30 percent hydrogen peroxide solution, Albany Fire Chief Robert Forezzi said.

The solution had somehow gotten from inside the tool to the shrink wrap, then onto the workers’ skin.

Some of the workers complained of a burning sensation, but there were no marks or evidence of burns.

According to an online search, the 30 percent hydrogen peroxide solution is 10 times as concentrated as the 3 percent hydrogen peroxide generally sold in stores.

The Nanotech first-response team responded and began decontamination immediately, Forezzi said. The fire department arrived and then took over, but much of the work had already been done, he said.

 
Share story: print print email email facebook facebook reddit reddit

comments

April 15, 2013
12:15 p.m.
Niskyboy says...

"According to an online search, the 30 percent hydrogen peroxide solution is 10 times as concentrated as the 3 percent hydrogen peroxide generally sold in stores."

You had to do a search to figure that out?

April 15, 2013
12:26 p.m.
dlittlecook says...

Niskyboy.. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I hope it was the reporter who did the search and not the Nanotech folks. Otherwise that might explain why the U.S. is falling so far behind in the Tech wars.

Log-in to post a comment.
 

columnists & blogs


Log into Dailygazette.com

Forgot Password?

Subscribe

Username:
Password: