Failed Wilton liquor store robbery, high-speed chase lead to prison sentence
BALLSTON SPA A Lake George man was sentenced to 2 to 4 years in prison for trying to rob a Wilton liquor store in November.
Yvon Majeus Jr., 36, pleaded guilty April 11 to third-degree attempted robbery and was sentenced at the same time.
In November, state police said Majeus led police on a high-speed chase through Wilton after a trooper drove by as Majeus was walking into a liquor store on Route 9 with the intent to rob it, though he didn’t get any money.
The trooper saw a vehicle pulled off to the side of the road and a man trying to cover his face as he walked into the store, police said then. The officer pulled into the parking lot and got out of the cruiser as the store owner ran screaming from the store.
Majeus fled before he was able to complete the robbery, jumping into his car and driving away, police said. The trooper chased him on Route 9, Northern Pines Road, Traver Road, Ballard Road and back to Northern Pines, at times reaching 100 mph, police said.
Eventually, Majeus abandoned his car and ran, and troopers caught him near Route 9 north of Ballard Road.
Also recently in County Court:
• Benjamin LaPoint, 36, of Hudson Falls, pleaded guilty Tuesday to fourth-degree grand larceny, a charge he faced from an October incident in Wilton.
• Temer Leary, 25, of Fort Edward, was arraigned Monday on charges of fourth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance and two counts of second-degree criminal possession, felonies, as well as unlawful growing cannabis, a misdemeanor. The charges stem from his November arrest in Moreau.
• Edward Nicholl, 47, of 1400 Crescent Ave., Clifton Park, pleaded guilty Monday to felony driving while intoxicated in Halfmoon in December.
• Suzanne MacDuff, 49, of Hudson Falls, pleaded guilty Monday to driving drunk in August in the town of Saratoga. She is slated for sentencing in June.
• Justin Dingman, 29, of 980 Murray Road, Lot 11, Middle Grove, pleaded guilty April 11 to fourth-degree grand larceny and was sentenced to 11⁄2 to 3 years in prison to run concurrently with a sentence in Warren County. He was accused of committing the crime in December in Wilton.
• Alfred A. Evans, 24, of 230 Emigh Road, Lot 9, Milton, pleaded guilty April 11 to failing to report an address change as a sex offender within 10 days in February. Sentencing is scheduled for June.
• Jonathan Trow, 31, of 1152 Saratoga Road, Apt. 1B, Ballston Lake, pleaded guilty April 11 to fourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property. He was charged in August in Wilton. Sentencing is slated for June.
• Lawrence “Bobby” Knight, 46, of Cohoes was sentenced April 9 to 5 years in prison with 2 years of post-release supervision for third-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance. He was indicted in February 2012 for selling drugs in Halfmoon. The prison sentence will run concurrently with a federal sentence.
• Christine Zientak, 48, of Queensbury, pleaded guilty April 9 to third-degree grand larceny for a July 2011 theft in Malta. Sentencing is slated for June.
• Brendon Layton, 29, of Waterford, pleaded guilty April 9 to misdemeanor DWI after being arrested in March 2012 in Halfmoon.
• Maxfield Pieper, 33, of Fort Edward, was arraigned April 9 on charges of fourth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, two counts of second-degree criminal possession and one count of third-degree criminal possession of marijuana, all felonies, and unlawful growing of cannabis, a misdemeanor. The charges stem from a November arrest in Moreau.
• Stephen M. Allen Jr., 25, of 357 Milton Ave., Saratoga Springs, pleaded guilty April 4 to second-degree attempted assault and third-degree attempted criminal possession of a controlled substance after being charged on two occasions last year in Saratoga Springs. He is scheduled to be sentenced on both counts in May.
• Robert Buskey Sr., 52, no address given, pleaded guilty April 4 to fourth-degree grand larceny from a 2010 incident in Wilton. He is scheduled to be sentenced in May.
• Ryan Hazlett, 28, of 6 Berkshire Drive West, Clifton Park, pleaded guilty April 4 to driving drunk in December in Halfmoon. Sentencing is scheduled for May.
• Peter M. O’Donnell, 33, of 1107 North Creek Road, Lot 26, Porter Corners, pleaded guilty April 4 to driving drunk in January in Greenfield. Sentencing is slated for May.
• John J. Shannon Jr., 25, of 331 Rowland St., Milton, was indicted April 3 on two counts of second-degree assault resulting from an incident that allegedly occurred in January in Milton.
• James M. Kiltz, 24, of 8 Ridge St., Hadley, who also goes by the last name Klitz, was indicted April 3 on three counts of felony DWI, one of them for aggravated DWI. Authorities said he drove drunk in December in Stillwater.