Commerce and Community: Aug. 8, 2013
Pair of doctors opening second private practice
BALLSTON SPA — Dr. Vincent Meyer, M.D., and Dr. Julia Malin, M.D., are adding a second private practice at 101 Main St., Corinth. The soft opening of Meyer & Malin Family Practice will take place Aug. 15.
Their first office is located at 418 Geyser Road in Ballston Spa.
The new office will offer family care, medically supervised weight-loss programs, DOT physicals, women’s health services and most general practice services.
The office will be open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. For information, visit the Meyer & Malin Family Practice website http://meyerandmalin.com.
Visiting Angels wins national award
ALBANY — Visiting Angels Senior Home Care of Albany was recently honored at the National Annual Home Care Conference with the Rising Angel Award. The award recognizes excellence in service to seniors and the disabled, exceptional business acumen, outstanding revenue growth and overall service to the community.
The Visiting Angels corporate headquarters, located in Philadelphia, oversees nearly 500 offices in the U.S. and Canada. The Albany office, chosen for the national award from more than 50 new offices opened in the U.S. in 2012, is under the direction of a team of health care professionals led by Robert Bertram, R.N., of East Greenbush, and Robert Coan, R.N., of Bethlehem.
Visiting Angels Living Assistance Services offers seniors and their families an alternative to nursing home placement by providing comprehensive home care.
Visiting Angels serves Albany, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Columbia and Greene counties.
Accounting firm promotes five
ALBANY — Marvin and Company, P.C., a Capital Region accounting, auditing, taxation and management consulting firm, has announced five staff promotions.
• Brittney Wineinger completed an internship with Marvin and Company in 2009 and joined the audit department staff in 2012. She has been promoted to level 2 in the audit department. The Troy resident earned a master’s degree in accounting from Boston College Carroll Graduate School of Management in 2011 and an undergraduate degree in accounting from Siena College in 2010.
• Andrew Bullard of Queensbury joined the firm in 2011 and has been promoted to beginning in-charge in the audit department. He earned a master’s degree in business administration from Union Graduate College in 2011 and an undergraduate degree in accounting from Siena College in 2010.
• Anthony Marino, a certified public accountant with the firm since 2012, was promoted to beginning in-charge in the audit department. He earned a master’s degree in accounting from The College of Saint Rose in 2011 and an undergraduate degree in finance from Sacred Heart University in 2009. He is a resident of Queensbury.
• Elizabeth Deal joined the firm in 2011 and has been promoted to beginning in-charge in the audit department. The Niskayuna resident earned a master’s degree in accounting from the University at Albany in 2011. She also earned a doctorate in veterinary medicine from the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine and a bachelor of science in animal science from Clemson University.
• Debra Smith, a certified public accountant, has been promoted to manager in the Queensbury office. The Johnsonville native joined the firm in 2012 and brings nine years of experience in accounting services to her latest duties. She holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration in accounting from Siena College.
Planned Parenthood names new CEO
SCHENECTADY — Planned Parenthood Mohawk Hudson’s board of directors has announced the appointment of Bowman Kim Atkins as CEO.
Atkins brings executive-level experience in nonprofit financing and systems, specializing in family planning and community health. He was the senior vice president for New York City’s Community Healthcare Network and, most recently, served as deputy executive director/CFO at AIDS Service Center NYC.
Atkins earned a master’s degree from Cornell University in anthropology and conducted doctorate research in Thailand. He holds a bachelor’s degree from Duke University.
A Washington County resident for more than 10 years, Atkins will maintain his office in Schenectady.