The Daily Gazette
The Locally Owned Voice of the Capital Region
Advertisement
Promotions

Schenectady firefighters discover blaze on accident call

Schenectady firefighters Jeremy Matson and Michael Mareno are showered in sparks as flames pour through a vent hole in the roof of 16-18 Elm St. after fire broke out early Saturday.
Schenectady firefighters Jeremy Matson and Michael Mareno are showered in sparks as flames pour through a vent hole in the roof of 16-18 Elm St. after fire broke out early Saturday.
  • FACEBOOK
  • TWITTER
  • GOOGLE+
  • LINKEDIN
  • PRINT
  • E-MAIL
Text Size: A | A

Schenectady firefighters were in the right place at the right time this morning. While tending to a minor car accident at the corner of State and Elm streets just after 2 a.m., an onlooker in the crowd at the scene noticed flames shooting through the roof of a home at 16 Elm St. A fire crew quickly ran to the scene, while calling for more units, to make sure no one was inside or hurt. ...


You Must Log-In or Subscribe to Continue Subscription Offer Individual stories can be found and purchased from our Archives for $2.00

Advertisement

comments

kmiac
January 6, 2013
10:39 a.m.

[ Flag Post ]

Great job SFD

cfield
January 6, 2013
11:25 a.m.

[ Flag Post ]

Wondering if they need a 5 million + new firehouse to respond to that call!

tonijean613
January 6, 2013
3:03 p.m.

[ Flag Post ]

I think its called "Knob and Tube" wiring- most of the older homes have it. Worth replacing it if you can afford to do it- These fires always seem to start in the attic or top floors- not sure why, but I do know of a fire like this was triggered by use of a electric heater overloading the old wires. Not sure if possible to re-wire only part of a house- but definitely worth looking into.

Advertisement