Best Bets: Jazz
Winter/Spring Preview 2013
• The 2013 Capital Region jazz season gets under way this afternoon with the Lee Shaw Trio at The Stockade Inn. Sponsored by the Swingtime Jazz Society, the session will run from 4 to 6 p.m., with an open jam session starting at 6.
• A week from today, Jan. 20, Grammy Award-winning saxophonist Joe Lovano and his band Us Five will perform at The Egg in Albany. The band features James Wiedman on piano, Esperanza Spalding on bass and Otis Brown III and Francisco Mela on drums.
• February will open with two major events at The Van Dyck in Schenectady. The Hot Club of Detroit will perform on Feb. 1. This Django Reinhardt-inspired group was a big hit at A Place for Jazz a couple of years ago. Accordion whiz Julien Labro helps the group live up to the adjective hot.
• On Feb. 8, the local band Bopitude will be joined by award-winning baritone saxophonist Gary Smulyan at The Van Dyck. Led by drummer Mike Benedict, the band will include Brian Patneaude on tenor saxophone, Chris Pasin on trumpet, Jon Leroy on piano and Mike Lawrence on bass.
• On Feb. 9, The Dirty Dozen Brass Band will bring the authentic sound of New Orleans to The College of Saint Rose in Albany.
• Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs will present The Fellowship Band led by drummer Brian Blade on March 22.
• And looking further into spring, trumpeter Claudio Roditi will be the guest artist on April 16 in the spring concert by the Empire Jazz Orchestra at Schenectady County Community College.
— Gazette jazz writer Tim Coakley