No matter how meticulously you plan the flowers, the music and the seating chart, your wedding day has a way of throwing a curveball — such as when your college roommate, seized by a moment of OMG-I-can’t-believe-you’re-getting-married! enthusiasm, accidentally sloshes her red wine onto your wedding dress.
Celebrity wedding planner Mindy Weiss, who has orchestrated the weddings of celebrities such as Ellen DeGeneres, Gwen Stefani and Hilary Duff, has witnessed enough such mini-crises to bring a Tide stain-lifting stick to every job. Also helpful to have on hand are safety pins to reattach a bustle that has been torn at the seams while dancing.
Weiss, who sells a 24-item “SHEmergency Kit“ ($30 at shopmindyweiss.com) to help brides handle common mishaps, suggests essential items to include in a wedding-day survival kit — and we added a few suggestions:
* Folding hairbrush with mirror: For quick makeup, teeth and hair checks, this tiny compact can be a lifesaver. $8 at sephora.com
* Hand lotion: Cracked knuckles and ashy elbows don’t stand a chance against L’Occitane’s shea butter mini hand cream. $10 at loccitane.com
* Mending kit (including safety pins): A zippered pouch with sewing essentials can rescue a torn veil, your groom’s loose buttons and myriad other clothing malfunctions. $10.50 at rei.com
* Double-sided garment tape: Hide bra straps, execute a last-minute hem and keep fabric (and body parts) in place with the varied sizes and shapes of double-sided tape in the Lacebugz wedding adhesive pack. $12.95 at senselingerie.com
* Shoeshine wipes: For a last-minute buff, the Synovia Instant Shine Sponge gives gleam to any color and style of shoe. Also consider getting disposable shoeshine wipes to take care of those muddy heels. $5 at nordstrom.com
* Stain remover: Someone, somewhere will spill something, and whoever has the Tide to Go instant stain remover will be the hero. $3.29 at walgreens.com
* Deodorant wipes: You may never hug as many people as you do on this day, so smell fresh without fear of white residue. La Fresh has deodorant wipes, though its standard wipes may also come in handy. $3.99 for pack of six at lafreshgroup.com
* Breath freshener: You may never kiss as many people as you do on this day. $5.49 for a pack of two at drugstore.com
* Facial tissues: Catch tears before they bring down your mascara. This site has lots of fun wedding-themed tissues. $1.65 at platesandnapkins.com.
* Lint remover: A quick pass of Scotch’s mini lint roller over a bridesmaid dress or groomsman suit will pick up any stray hairs and flecks. $2.49 at cvs.com.
Other items to include:
* Earring backs
* Hair spray
* Emery board
* Pain reliever
* Adhesive bandages/blister bandages
* Clear nail polish
* Nail polish remover
* Lip balm
* Dental floss/toothpicks
* Static remover
* Clear hair elastics
* Drinking straws