The Locally Owned Voice of the Capital Region
 
Many fruits stem from Syracuse artists' grafts
SYRACUSE

Many fruits stem from Syracuse artists' grafts

Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2015
Plums, peaches, nectarines and cherries all grow on just one of Sam Van Aken's fruit trees. The trees blossom in a riot of red, white and pink each spring.
 
Really tough jobs to have in a heat wave
CAPITAL REGION

Really tough jobs to have in a heat wave

Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2015
The heat doesn’t bother Michael Springstead, and he walks around, and dances, in a furry, heavily-padded plush suit.
 
Ancient grains for modern kitchens

Ancient grains for modern kitchens

Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2015
Whole grains have crossed the frontier from hippie fad into mainstream American ingredient, showing up not only in restaurant fare but also at salad joints and in multiple supermarket aisles (not just the natural foods sections!)
 
Hollow Bar + Kitchen a hit for food, ambiance
ALBANY

Hollow Bar + Kitchen a hit for food, ambiance

Sunday, Aug. 16, 2015
The Hollow offers an upscale pub menu and more in a pleasant, brick-walled setting.
 
Hudson cruises give from-the-water view of nature, history

Hudson cruises give from-the-water view of nature, history

Saturday, Aug. 15, 2015
Five days a week, from April to October, the Dutch Apple II, a handsome, wood-trimmed 65-foot boat in the style of the old Hudson River dayliners, glides along while passengers, both tourists and locals, relax with cool drinks.
 
Getting into the hydration habit

Getting into the hydration habit

Friday, Aug. 14, 2015
The Institute of Medicine’s Food and Nutrition Board recommends total daily intake of about 2.7 liters (91 ounces) for women and about 3.7 liters (125 ounces) for men. According to the board, about 80 percent of people’s total water intake comes from drinking water and beverages. The other 20 percent comes from food.
 
Tickets on sale for Taste of Home Cooking School
SCHENECTADY

Tickets on sale for Taste of Home Cooking School

Friday, Aug. 14, 2015
Tickets are now on sale for a Taste of Home Cooking School event for Thursday, Oct. 15, at the Saratoga City Center. This event is sponsored by The Daily Gazette.
 
Shopping for back-to-school deals? It's all in the timing
NEW YORK

Shopping for back-to-school deals? It's all in the timing

Friday, Aug. 14, 2015
The start of the school year is just around the corner, and you haven't shopped yet?
 
Coleslaw gets a burst of color

Coleslaw gets a burst of color

Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2015
Bored with the usual slaws? Here are recipes that tinker with the classic, using beets, kohlrabi, carrots, fennel, celery root. All are sturdy, colorful, flavorful. All have slaw potential.
 
Discarded objects reborn as lighting fixtures
NEW YORK

Discarded objects reborn as lighting fixtures

Monday, Aug. 10, 2015
Household objects, industrial cast-offs and vintage farm tools — all these and more are being salvaged and upcycled into lighting fixtures that range from elegant to funky to pure wow.
 
Diet Pepsi gets rid of aspartame, but will customers return?
NEW YORK

Diet Pepsi gets rid of aspartame, but will customers return?

Monday, Aug. 10, 2015
A revamped Diet Pepsi without aspartame is popping up on store shelves. So will people start flocking back to the soda?
 
For Capital Region Olympians, a Special softball tourney
CLIFTON PARK

For Capital Region Olympians, a Special softball tourney

Sunday, Aug. 9, 2015

“Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.”
 
Young workers develop job skills for future in summer program

Young workers develop job skills for future in summer program

Sunday, Aug. 9, 2015
Three teens gathered around a glass jar, puzzling over whether or not the insect trapped inside was a potato beetle.
 
Imaginative cuisine, patio dining at 62 Beekman
SARATOGA SPRINGS

Imaginative cuisine, patio dining at 62 Beekman

Sunday, Aug. 9, 2015
We’ve all heard of farm-to-table cuisine. But how about a restaurant where veggies grow inches away from where you sit and dine?
 
Skaters have spills and thrills at Action Park
CLIFTON PARK

Skaters have spills and thrills at Action Park

Saturday, Aug. 8, 2015

Tucked away between this town’s newest hotel and its mall, the Clifton Park Action Park has offered the opportunity for novices and veterans of the skating game to come together since 2006.
 
 

columnists & blogs


Log into Dailygazette.com

Forgot Password?

Subscribe

Username:
Password: