Embers may have sparked blaze that destroyed Middle Grove home

A couple building their own house will have to start over again after the home was destroyed by fire
Joe Murphy, right, is distraught upon seeing his home on Lester Lane in Middle Grove gutted by fire Thursday morning.
PHOTOGRAPHER:
Joe Murphy, right, is distraught upon seeing his home on Lester Lane in Middle Grove gutted by fire Thursday morning.

A couple building their own house will have to start over again after the home was destroyed by fire this morning.

Fire officials at the scene of the blaze at 5 Lester Lane near Middle Grove that started around 11:30 a.m. said they believe the fire’s cause was accidental.

Gary Gibbins, assistant fire chief for Greenfield Center Fire Department, said the fire may have started when the homeowner, a carpenter who was working on the house Thursday morning, walked a bucket of woodstove ashes through the garage to empty them.

Embers from the container may have ignited wood shavings on the garage floor, Gibbins said.

The fire started in the garage and spread to the attached home.

The homeowner left after emptying the ashes and when he came back, the home was on fire, Gibbins said. He did not have the owner’s name available at the scene this afternoon.

Categories: News

Leave a Reply