Neighbors of the Fulton County Landfill were recently inundated with noxious odors that one woman said made her physically sick.
“That odor was so strong,” Jami LaBadia of Copperknoll Road told members of the Board of Supervisors Monday.
She said the gas odor was present late in the week before.
“This was so strong when I came home Saturday … it made me sick, by sick I mean nauseated,” she said.
“Once it got into my house I was just livid. … I’m just concerned; health issues mostly,” she said.
LaBadia said she called the landfill and talked to Solid Waste Department Director Jeff Bouchard, who explained that a broken gas-collection pipe was the culprit.
But, she said, she talked to neighbors and decided to talk to board members on their behalf.
“Apparently, no one has come to the board and addressed it,” she said. “If you don’t reside there, maybe it’s in the back of your mind.”
She said she’s lived on Copperknoll Road for about three years and landfill odors have been a recurring problem, more so in the winter.
“One gentleman I talked to, he’s 82, 83, he told me forget it. I don’t feel that way,” LaBadia said.
Board Chairman Mike Rooney promised to look into the situation and on Wednesday Bouchard explained exactly what happened.
“One of the main collection pipes, with the odd weather that we’ve had, heaved and cracked. Water got in and flooded the flare and the flare was down for a couple of days,” he said.
The pipe that failed is one of the original methane gas-collection pipes installed in 1997.
The landfill, which is located in the town of Johnstown off Mud Road, currently burns off the gas. Operators are in the process of adding generators and other equipment to use it to make electricity.
Bouchard said the landfill will also be installing 4,000 feet of new, 12-inch high-density polyethylene pipe this summer, which will also allow for future expansion of the gas-collection system.
He said the Solid Waste Department takes complaints seriously and wants to be a good neighbor.
Bouchard said he received a number of calls from neighbors about the odor problem and he called the ones who didn’t call him to advise them of the situation when the pipe cracked.
More from The Daily Gazette:
Categories: Schenectady County