‘Spamalot’ sets 3 records during 6-day run at Proctors

The Broadway hit "Monty Python's Spamalot," which played at Proctors from Jan. 8-13, set records for

“Spamalot,” Monty Python’s 2005 Tony Award winner that’s still going strong on Broadway, was every bit as popular in Schenectady. Its six-day run from Jan. 8 to 13 set three records at Proctors — number of tickets sold, revenue raised and percentage of seats sold for eight performances.

Most major shows at Proctors run for eight performances over six days.

All eight performances of “Spamalot” were sold out, the first time that’s happened since Proctors reopened in 1979. It also marked the first complete sellout since Proctors renovated its performing space to create a bigger stage in the fall of 2005. The sellouts resulted in a record 98.3 percent of the seats being filled. The remaining 1.7 percent of seats could not be sold because of the show’s large set and sight line restrictions.

The show earned $1,127,526 in ticket sales while selling 20,499 tickets, both records. The previous Proctors record for tickets sold and revenue of an eight-performance run was set last March when “Hairspray’ brought in $813,600 from 16,724 tickets.

“Usually, the opening night of any show sells the least amount of tickets, and depending on the show, Thursday matinees can be difficult to sell out,” said Proctors’ CEO Philip Morris. “But with this show, everyone wanted to see it.”

“We are ecstatic that our patrons supported us and this show,” said Morris. “This is exactly the reason we needed to do the stage expansion in order to bring this level of entertainment to this region. Without it, we would not have been able to bring any of the new Broadway shows that are in our season.”

Categories: News

Leave a Reply