Duanesburg home damaged by fire

Icy weather hampered firefighters as they battled a blaze on Skyline Drive in Duanesburg this mornin
PHOTOGRAPHER:

Categories: News

Icy weather hampered firefighters as they battled a blaze on Skyline Drive this morning.

Firefighters from several area companies were called about 8:45 a.m. to 4417 Skyline Drive. Delanson Fire Chief Kevin Morrison said the fire apparently started in the chimney area and engulfed the two-story home.

By 10:30 a.m., the structure still stood, but smoke still billowed from the two-story home. Cold and damp weather kept the ground slushy. Skyline Drive near the scene was closed to through traffic.

The homeowners were at home when the fire broke out, Morrison said, but escaped safely. The Red Cross was on the scene to help, he said.

No injuries were reported, but the home has sustained significant damage. Firefighters are limited to fighting the blaze from outside because they believe the home is unsafe, Morrison said.

“The first floor is gone,” Morrison said.

The Duanesburg Fire Department is leading the fire battle. Delanson, Mariaville, Plotterkill and South Schenectady are among those fighting the fire.

Another Skyline Drive home was destroyed by fire in October, that one near Hilman Road. In December, near the end of Skyline Drive, on Herrick Road also sustained damage, but is being restored.

Leave a Reply