Unlikely Loyola three staggers Saints

Siena lets an opportunity slip away ands falls to Loyola in overtime.

Prior to playing Siena on Saturday, Loyola head coach Jimmy Patsos showed his team where the New York Giants hold training camp on Western Avenue.

A kid named Manning showed them how to make the biggest play of the game.

Greg Manning, a little-used senior, nailed a game-tying three-pointer from the right corner with 10 seconds left in regulation, and the Greyhounds quickly put away Siena in overtime of an 83-76 victory at the Times Union Center.

It was a bitter loss for Siena (11-4, 16-9), which remained tied with Rider for first place in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, but has lost four straight to Loyola (10-5, 15-12). Sophomore forward Edwin Ubiles accounted for almost half of the Saints’ offense with a career-high 37 points and all 10 of Siena’s points in overtime, but Loyola scored the first seven in OT to suck the life out of the Saints.

“Thirty-seven doesn’t mean anything if you don’t get the ‘W.’ I’d rather have no scoring and a win,” Ubiles said.

“Nobody thought the Giants could win, nobody thought we could win, so . . . we’ll just keep grinding,” Patsos said, tearing up a little bit during the post-game press conference.

According to the minutes column in the box score, Manning didn’t even play, with a “0+” that NCAA stat crews assign to a player who was on the floor for less than 30 seconds. His contribution was enormous, though.

After a timeout with 16.9 seconds left and Loyola trailing, 66-63, Greyhounds freshman point guard Brian Rudolph drove the lane and passed it to Manning in the corner, where he calmly hit a three-pointer.

After watching from the bench for the whole game, he was on the floor for all of eight seconds before subbing out. Siena called timeout, and Kenny Hasbrouck found Ubiles near halfcourt for a dribble and a tough jumper from just inside the three-point arc that bounced off the rim and was tapped around by several players trying to get the rebound as time expired.

“He’s done that a lot of different times, but not more than today, coming in cold like that,” Patsos said. “I wasn’t sure if Greg would shoot the ball, I just thought he’d draw their attention. They know who Greg Manning is. He just made a good shot.”

“I’m always ready,” Manning said. “You never know if I’m going to play 10 minutes or two or, like today, a couple seconds. I was confident, I knew if I could get it and have an open look, it was going to go down.”

“He shouldn’t have been open,” Hasbrouck said. “We said in the huddle a ton of times, no threes, no threes, no threes. He hit a three. We have to be more mentally tough at the end of the game. You get up by three points, you should never let a three get off unless it’s from halfcourt.”

Rudolph took over in overtime, Siena was cold at the start, and that was pretty much it from there.

Michael Tuck made a little turnaound for Loyola, Ubiles missed a twisting layup and Rudolph alternated a baseline drive and a three with two missed shots by Has­brouck as the Greyhounds took a 73-66 lead.

Siena never got closer than six points of the lead after that.

Manning came in for another three seconds of action, just long enough to make two free throws for a 79-69 lead with 1:07 left, and then he was back on the bench.

“The first two possessions, we got great looks,” Siena head coach Fran McCaffery said. “The third one was forced, and after that we were down seven and our defensive effort wasn’t what it needed to be. Then we started driving the ball, because we needed to score quickly. We got some shots, but we had a small team out there, so we weren’t getting any seconds.”

“They hit their first three shots, we missed our first two and from there, they owned the game,” Hasbrouck said.

Siena had the momentum with 7:43 left after Ubiles scored on an alley oop-dunk from Ronald Moore, and Loyola’s leading scorer, Gerald Brown picked up his fourth foul on the next possession.

Brett Harvey kept Loyola in it by hitting a 28-footer at the shot clock buzzer to cut the Siena lead to 61-60, and Rudolph tied it at 63-63 with 2:25 left with a three-point play on Alex Franklin’s fifth foul.

Josh Duell made three of four free throws for a 66-63 lead with 1:41 left. Loyola got a chance to tie it when Rudolph outdove Tay Fisher for a long rebound of Fisher’s missed three-pointer at the shot clock buzzer and called timeout with 16.9 seconds left to set up Manning’s big shot.

Hasbrouck picked up his second foul 2:13 into the game and sat for the rest of the first half.

Ubiles took over the offense, scoring 16 points as the teams played to a 32-32 tie. His previous single-game best was 29 points against Holy Cross on Dec. 22.

“It killed. I was getting tired over there,” Hasbrouck said. “I was trying to cheer on the team, but I’m not used to sitting on the bench that long.”

“Whether he’s in the game or not, I’m going to still look to attack and play my game, but with him out, that’s a key loss for us,” Ubiles said. “Somebody needed to step up. They ran some plays for me and I was able to get some points.”


Isreal 3-3 2-2 8, Tuck 5-11 3-4 15, Brown 2-10 5-5 9, Harvey 5-12 6-6 19, Rudolph 5-8 4-5 15, Lewis 1-2 0-0 2, Sullivan 3-7 3-3 10, Manning 1-1 2-2 5, Fofana 0-1 0-0 0. Totals: 25-55 25-27 83.

SIENA (76)

Duell 3-6 3-4 11, Ubiles 11-22 14-17 37, Franklin 2-6 3-4 7, Moore 2-11 0-0 5, Hasbrouck 5-11 0-0 10, De La Rosa 0-0 0-0 0, Fisher 2-7 0-0 6, Jackson 0-0 0-0 0, Rossiter 0-1 0-0 0, Magee 0-0 0-2 0. Totals: 25-64 20-27 76.

Halftime: Siena 32, Loyola 32. Regulation: Siena 66, Loyola 66. Three-point goals: Loyola 8-19 (Tuck 2-2, Brown 0-3, Harvey 3-7, Rudolph 1-2, Sullivan 1-4, Manning 1-1); Siena 6-19 (Duell 2-3, Ubiles 1-4, Moore 1-5, Hasbrouck 0-2, Fisher 2-5). Rebounds: Loyola 44 (Tuck 11); Siena 28 (Franklin 8). Assists: Loyola 10 (Rudolph 5); Siena 12 (Moore 5). Total fouls: Loyola 23; Siena 22. Fouled out: Isreal, Brown, Franklin. Attendance: 6,463.

Categories: Sports

Leave a Reply