Schenectady County

Accused Schenectady killer takes plea deal

Isiah Waters admitted to the fatal shooting of Quan Scott in Schenectady County Court today, pleadin

Isiah Waters stood on the front porch at 101 Degraff St. and fired nine shots from a sawed-off .22 caliber gun as Quan Scott tried to flee up the steps of his second-floor apartment. One bullet struck Scott in the hand and another in his heart, and the unarmed 23-year-old hotel worker died a short time later at Ellis Hospital.

Waters admitted to his role in the shooting in Schenectady County Court today, pleading guilty to a single count of second-degree murder.

“It was pretty much an assassination,” Schenectady County District Attorney Robert Carney said after the plea. “He just killed him.”

Waters now faces a 20 years to life in prison when he’s sentenced in mid-August. As part of a plea agreement, prosecutors dropped a weapons charge Waters, 20, was also facing.

Carney said the fatal shooting was precipitated by a confrontation between Scott and Waters, who has gang ties in the city. Apparently, Carney said, Waters was chasing Scott’s cousin when Scott intervened to protect the boy, who was suspected of gang involvement himself.

“There were gang overtones to this,” he said.

Though he initially left Scott alone, Waters returned later in the week with a gun. After a brief argument in front of Scott’s apartment, Waters’ brandished the weapon and began to fire.

Carney described Scott as a hard-working individual who had a clean record and held a regular job. For three years, Scott commuted by bus to a job he had at the Marriott on Wolf Road in Albany.

“He was a good, hard-working kid who didn’t deserve his fate,” he said.

Carney said the plea agreement was reached after prosecutors revealed some of the witnesses who had agreed to testify during a trial scheduled for next week. He said attempts to lift DNA evidence from the nine shell casings recovered from the scene proved unsuccessful.

Waters’ attorney, Mark Sacco of Schenectady, could not be reached this afternoon.

Darlene Scott, the deceased man’s mother, was present in court during Water’s plea. Afterwards, she thanked police for their work in solving her son’s slaying.

Categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply