Schenectady County

Husband charged with killing woman in Schenectady

A Guyanese man fatally bludgeoned his wife in their Division Street home Saturday morning, city poli

A Guyanese man fatally bludgeoned his wife in their Division Street home Saturday morning, city police said Thursday.

Yetraj Mangar, 60, was charged with second-degree murder Thursday night and was awaiting arraignment in City Court this morning. Investigators said he is responsible for the death of Jaiwanti Mangar, 56, who was found dead inside their flat at 402 Division St. Saturday afternoon.

Schenectady County District Attorney Robert Carney had few details about the case late Thursday but said there appeared to be a history of violence between Mangar and his wife. He said the couple slept in separate rooms in the first-floor apartment, where Mangar’s two sons and their wives also resided.

“I believe there was some history of unreported domestic violence,” Carney said.

Police were summoned to the house around 2:45 p.m. Saturday after the woman’s body was discovered. An autopsy later revealed that she had died from blunt-force trauma to her head.

Carney was unsure what type of weapon was used in the attack but said the violence apparently stemmed from an argument the couple was having. He said Yetraj Mangar wanted to return to Guyana but his wife wanted to stay in the United States.

“She was happy here and he wasn’t,” he said. “He was interested in returning to Guyana.”

Neighbors indicated that Mangar and his wife moved to Schenectady from Long Island about three years ago. They had apparently emigrated from Guyana sometime in early 2000.

The wife was described by friends as a quiet and deeply religious woman who regularly attended services at the Faith Deliverance Tabernacle on Ostrander Place. She worked two jobs in the area, according to people who knew her.

Carney said initial reports about her husband being out of the country when she was killed proved false. One media report indicated that the suspect attended a service for his wife at the church on the evening following her death.

Mangar was being held without bail until his arraignment. A phone number listed for his two sons at their Division Street home was disconnected.

Police department spokesman Officer Kevin Green was unsure if Mangar had a criminal record and could offer few additional details about the case Thursday. He said more information about the investigation will be revealed after Mangar is arraigned.

Categories: Schenectady County

Leave a Reply