Hindes wants Gloversville Council seat back

Former Councilman Ray R. Hindes Jr., D-6th Ward, gone since Jan. 12 when he suddenly resigned, has c

Former Councilman Ray R. Hindes Jr., D-6th Ward, gone since Jan. 12 when he suddenly resigned, has contacted city officials seeking to rescind his resignation letter.

Hindes said Monday he will ask the Common Council tonight to consent to his return, a step dictated under state law.

“I was very upset at the time and hastily resigned,” Hindes said.

Since then, Hindes said, he has reconsidered as a result of numerous phone calls from constituents and other support. “They made me realize I was elected by the people and that I should do what I was elected to do,” he said.

Hindes said he was bothered by a number of issues leading to his resignation, but he mentioned accusations that he and fellow council members, Robin Wentworth, D-1st Ward, and Ellen Anadio, R-4th Ward, conspired to skip a special meeting called Jan. 7 by Mayor Dayton King.

Hindes said he was ill and in bed that Thursday and that while he has sometimes voted with Wentworth and Anadio, he has also voted in alliance with others on the council. He said he was not part of any voting bloc, which is what some political observers termed the Hindes, Wentworth and Anadio group.

“I voted what was best for the city and I will continue to do that,” Hindes said.

King and Councilman-at-Large James Robinson said Monday they were awaiting information from City Attorney Matthew E. Trainor about the legal issues governing Hindes’ attempted comeback.

A similar issue arose after former Councilman Matthew Myers, R-5th Ward, resigned in November but stayed in place to cast key votes on Jan. 1. Local activist Jack Kinzie challenged the Jan. 1 votes, contending state law limits a term in office after a resignation to 30 days. Trainor disagreed, citing some case law.

Both sides agreed that an official may rescind a resignation if the officer to whom the letter is tendered consents to it.

Robinson said Monday it was still unclear whether City Clerk Brenda Pedrick or the entire council must grant consent to Hindes.

But, said Robinson, “we’re waiting for legal advice.” Robinson said he would have preferred it if Hindes “had lived with his decision.”

The council, having recruited five candidates interested in the seat, is already moving toward making an appointment.

“Why did he wait about a month to decide?” Robinson asked.

Hindes’ request, King said, is an issue warranting a vote by the full council. If Hindes is to return, King said, it must be done in accordance with the law.

When Hindes was in office, King said, it was apparent, “he did his homework and had his constituents in mind.”

When Hindes resigned, he submitted a two-page resignation letter offering recommendations, citing his accomplishments and expressing his ire that city officials and some residents apparently did not believe he was ill the night of King’s special meeting.

“I was not absent from the meeting because of a ‘planned scenario with the three amigos,’ ” he said in his letter, referring to portrayals on the city message board.

“The truth of the matter is I had been ill for a couple of days . . . on Thursday, Jan. 7, I was sick and never got out of bed,” he said.

Categories: Schenectady County

Leave a Reply