The victim of a fire last weekend at 95 Congress St. died Monday night at Albany Medical Center Hospital, the city fire department announced today.
Margaret Murphy, 56, died at 8:43 p.m. from complications resulting from the April 2 fire. She had been listed in critical condition after the 3:40 a.m. fire.
Murphy was pulled from the fire at the Franklin Community Center by a neighbor.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire. Fire damage was confined to the apartment with limited water and smoke damage to the hallway.
Lead fire investigator Capt. Peter Shaw of the Saratoga Springs Fire Department said an unattended candle near the bed in the apartment caused the fire. Shaw said in a statement that the fire extended from the point of origin to the bed and then up the wall of the apartment.
The neighbor, William Nash, is credited with dragging Murphy to safety until firefighters arrived. Murphy was first taken to Saratoga Hospital and then transferred to Albany Medical Center Hospital.
GAZETTE COVERAGEEnsure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe
More from The Daily Gazette: