Schenectady County

Workers in DSIC uniforms allegedly were stealing

Two former Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corp. employees accused of taking tens of thousands of d
PHOTOGRAPHER:

Two former Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corp. employees accused of taking tens of thousands of dollars in metal tree grates from downtown Schenectady are believed to have taken them under cover of their uniforms, a prosecutor said Friday.

They also are believed to have used the corporation’s Bobcat forklift, which they had access to, to move the heavy grates, prosecutor William Sanderson said.

“It would look like they were doing routine maintenance,” Sanderson said. “They were in their official uniforms, using the official Bobcat from the Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corporation.”

At least some of the thefts came during regular work hours, particularly on weekends, Sanderson said.

The two suspects, Charles Williams, 34, of 1111 Union St., and Warren Ashburn, 30, of 109 Irving St., were indicted Friday on one count each of second-degree grand larceny and second-degree criminal possession of stolen property.

Authorities have estimated the total value of the cast-iron tree grates taken at more than $70,000. The two are accused of taking the grates and selling them for scrap at a fraction of their worth.

Both are former employees of the Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corporation, officials have said.

Ashburn left the corporation Oct. 1, after about a year of employment, officials said. Williams worked with the corporation until last month, leaving soon after the thefts were discovered.

Prosecutors put the time frame of the thefts at between Sept. 1 and March 19.

Sanderson, however, said they may have started earlier.

The thefts were discovered after a viewer of CBS6 tipped off the station and the station then relayed the information to police. The viewer sent information that tree grates were at T.A. Predel and Co., a scrap yard off Edison Avenue.

In all, a total of 67 sets of grates and 13 more vertical tree cages were missing.

Just 16 grates weighed in excess of 6,300 pounds. Each set costs the city $1,116 to replace.

The men are accused of selling those 16 for a scrap price that totaled $893.20, according to papers filed in court.

Just more than half of the grates were recovered at Predel. Scrap yard records indicate the two were the only ones recycling the grates, giving a good indication that they were the ones who took them, Sanderson said.

Also indicted Friday:

u Charles Lewis, 20, of 313 Seward Place, was indicted on two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon.

Lewis is accused of possessing a gun during a traffic stop April 12 on State Street. He was arrested with a second individual, Jose Serrano, 20, of Strong Street. The status of Serrano’s case was unclear.

Lewis was identified as the driver.

u Marvin Hill, 26, of 1101 McClyman St., was indicted on one count each of third-degree criminal sale and possession of a controlled substance, along with fourth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance and other counts, including speeding in a school zone.

Hill is accused of possessing and selling cocaine March 3 on Norwood Avenue, officials said.

u Michael Arras, 54, of 1820 Ferguson St., was indicted on two counts of driving while intoxicated.

Arras is accused of driving drunk Feb. 18 on Broadway.

Categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply