Schenectady County

CROP walks Sunday combat hunger

The annual CROP Hunger Walk will take place Sunday across the Capital Region, with organizers hoping

The annual CROP Hunger Walk will take place Sunday across the Capital Region, with organizers hoping to raise funds to support local food pantries as well as international relief efforts.

Last year, approximately 1,500 walkers raised more than $220,000 regionally in the local CROP Walks, said the Rev. Sandy Damhof, regional publicity manager.

Damhof said 75 percent of the donations go to Church World Service, which helps communities hit by disasters around the world. The remaining 25 percent stays in local communities. CROP Walks also support a multi-year Africa initiative that includes addressing HIV/AIDS in Africa.

“Each local CROP team decides which food pantry or feeding programs the money goes to,” Damhof said. The Schenectady CROP Walk, for example, raises money for the Schenectady Inner City Ministry.

Damhof said the walks “bring to life the new acronym for CROP, ‘Communities Responding to Overcome Poverty.’”

SICM Executive director Rev. Phillip Grigsby said the walk is an opportunity for families and neighbors to walk together to take a stand against hunger in the world. “Together we raise awareness and funds for international relief and development, as well as local hunger-fighting,” he said.

Damhof said the walks vary in length from two to three miles and that people can register for the event on the day of, or pre-register online. “It is supposed to be a nice day and we hope people do that,” she said.

Online donations will be accepted through July 31, Damhof said.

Here is a schedule of local CROP Walks:

– Albany: First Lutheran Church, 181 Western Ave. Registration: 12:30 p.m. Opening ceremonies: 1:15 p.m. Walk: 1:30 p.m. Contact: Kitt Jackson at Capital Area Council of Churches, 518-462-5450 or [email protected].

– Amsterdam: Catholic Charities Parking lot, 1 Kimball St. Registration: 1:30 p.m. Walk: 2 p.m. Contact: MaryAnn Louison at 518-842-4202 ext. 3135, or [email protected].

– Mayfield: Mayfield Presbyterian Church, 22 North Main St. Registration: 12:30 p.m. Walk: 1 p.m. Contact: Jim or Carol Cownie at 518-883-8099 or [email protected].

– Schenectady: Emmanuel Friedens Church, 218 Nott Terrace. Registration: 12:30 p.m. Walk: 1:30 p.m. Contact: Rev. Phillip Grigsby at 518-374-2683 or [email protected].

– Schoharie: St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Community, Washington Avenue, Cobleskill. Registration: 12:45 p.m. Walk: 1:30 p.m. Contact: John Jarvis at 518-234-2933 or [email protected].

Participants receive T-shirts and people who raise larger amounts (over $300) receive a special shopping bag.

Categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply