Saratoga County

McNeary remembered for his vision for industrial park

William J. McNeary III, who died Thursday in Saratoga Hospital after a brief illness, was remembered

William J. McNeary III, who died Thursday in Saratoga Hospital after a brief illness, was remembered as an astute businessman who helped develop the city’s W.J. Grande Industrial Park.

“He was a community leader and a very well respected and valuable contributor to our business community for decades,” said city Mayor Scott Johnson.

McNeary, 77, was the executive vice president of LogisticsOne, a large transportation and warehousing business located in the Grande Industrial Park on Geyser Road.

McNeary’s son, William J. McNeary IV, is the company’s president.

McNeary was also the long-time managing trustee of the W.J. Grande Trust that owns the 350-acre industrial park.

Johnson said McNeary’s “role and vision” in the development of the industrial park — where such businesses as the Ball Metal Container plant and the Quad/Graphics printing plant are located — was critical.

“He certainly had the right vision for the expansion of our commercial development in the city,” Johnson said.

Charles V. Wait, president of Adirondack Trust Co. in Saratoga Springs, said he has known McNeary for more than 30 years. He said McNeary operated a variety of businesses over the years “with skill and respect.” He praised his skill in “growing” LogisticsOne from “nothing” into a large company doing business across the nation.

The company, which was started in 1994 in Scotia with just four employees, now has more than 1 million square feet of warehouse space. It employs 200 full- and part-time workers and has rail service at its warehouse locations.

McNeary’s death is “a great loss to the community,” Wait said.

Mark Phillips of the William J. Burke & Sons/Bussing & Cunniff Funeral Home at 628 N. Broadway in Saratoga Springs said the McNeary funeral arrangements are not yet finalized.

He said he was talking to family members Thursday and expected services and calling hours would be scheduled for early next week.

Fred McNeary Jr., William McNeary’s nephew, said his uncle was admitted to Saratoga Hospital with pneumonia about three weeks ago. He was released but then re-admitted in recent days.

Categories: Business

Leave a Reply