A man died in an apartment fire on Monday after he fell asleep in bed with a cigarette, according to fire officials.
The Schuylerville Fire Department received a call about an apartment fire at 11:26 a.m. Monday at 9 Broad St., according to Fire Chief Brian Myers.
They received reports that all the occupants had left the three-story apartment building, except for one man from a first-floor apartment where the fire originated. The man was found dead inside. The county coroner later identified the remains found inside the apartment as those of Chris Wiley, who worked at market across the street.
Neighbors said Wiley lived alone with his dog, which also died in the fire.
“Careless smoking in bed caused it,” said Myers.
The rest of the building only suffered smoke damage, but residents can’t return to the building until it is inspected, Myers said. They are seeking shelter elsewhere.