Schenectady County

UPDATE: Smoking in bed likely cause of fatal Schenectady fire (with photos)

A woman was killed in an early morning fire on the city's Northside.

A woman was killed in an early morning fire on the city’s Northside.

The fire broke out around 5:16 a.m. in an apartment building at 1922 Foster Ave., according to Deputy Fire Chief David Orr.

Firefighters received information that there was a victim trapped inside the first floor. “Upon arrival, there was heavy fire showing from the right hand side of the building,” he said.

Fire officials immediately got water on the building to knock down the blaze. Firefighters located a woman who had not made it out alive.

The victim was later identified as 80-year-old Abigail Campbell. Authorities believe she was smoking in bed and a cigarette sparked the fire.

One firefighter was injured during the search for the woman, according to Orr. He did not know the severity of the injuries.

No one else was injured.

One occupant of the second floor managed to escape safely, according to Orr.

“The investigation is only just beginning so we don’t have any information,” Orr said.

The extremely cold temperatures made fighting the fire somewhat difficult. A secondary hydrant froze up while firefighters were battling the blaze.

Categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply