Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. ‘I’M FREE NOW’, SAYS MISSING WOMAN FOUND AFTER A DECADE
A neighbor found the three women who went missing separately in a Cleveland home where police said they were likely tied up for years. Three brothers were arrested.
2. KERRY TO MAKE CASE FOR TOUGHER RUSSIA STANCE ON SYRIA
The secretary of state is meeting with President Vladimir Putin with Assad’s powerful ally after Israel’s weekend airstrikes.
3. NEW THREATS FROM NORTH AHEAD OF US-SOUTH KOREA SUMMIT
North Korea warned it may retaliate against joint naval drills as the president planned to meet with South Korea’s new leader today.
4. SENATE PASSES BILL TO END TAX-FREE INTERNET SHOPPING
But retailers and cash-strapped states will have a tough time selling the same proposal to the House, where some view it as a tax hike.
5. WHERE A BOSTON BOMBING SUSPECT MIGHT BE BURIED
Out-of-state cemeteries have offered to take Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s remains, but his mother wants the body returned to Russia.
6. SANFORD BIDS FOR REDEMPTION
The disgraced ex-South Carolina governor faces the sister of Stephen Colbert in a special election today that could send him to Congress.
7. SURVIVOR QUESTIONS LIMO DRIVER AFTER FIERY DEATHS OF 5
Nelia Arellano says driver Oliver Brown could have done more to save her friends who perished in the burning limousine on a San Francisco Bay bridge.
8. ‘BROOD II’ EMERGES
That’s what scientists are calling the invasion of cicadas that will crawl from the soil on the East Coast. But relax, they’re harmless.
9. GRAMMY WINNER SENTENCED TO 3 MONTHS IN PRISON
Lauryn Hill paid back more than $900,000 in taxes, but still owes interest and penalties.
10. REFS SAY THEY GET NO RESPECT
Pete McCabe, whose skull was fractured by an angry football player four years ago, says a UTAH referee’s death proves a decline in sportsmanship.
GAZETTE COVERAGEEnsure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe
More from The Daily Gazette: