Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER TRIES TO MEDIATE IN UKRAINE
Berlin’s top diplomat arrives in Kiev to broker talks between the government and pro-Russian factions in the country’s eastern regions.
2. WHAT NIGERIAN TERROR LEADER DEMANDS
Islamic extremist leader Abubakar Shekau says nearly 300 abducted schoolgirls will not be seen again until the government frees his detained fighters.
3. DONALD STERLING DERIDES MAGIC JOHNSON WITH AIDS COMMENTS
The beleaguered Clippers owner questions the HIV-positive basketball great’s moral character, saying he is an unfit role model for children.
4. FORMER ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER RECEIVES PRISON SENTENCE
Ehud Olmert, who resigned five years ago amid corruption charges, was sentenced to six years for his role in a wide-ranging bribery scandal.
5.THIS IS THE LIFE THEY CHOSE
Lawyers who defend despised terror suspects in court can find themselves standing all alone–or falling from grace.
6. HOW A PEDOPHILE EVADED NOTICE FOR DECADES
The beloved teacher hopped around the globe teaching in international schools where he is believed to have molested dozens of boys.
7. WHO’S GOING TO PRE-K–AND WHO’S NOT
The availability of state-funded pre-kindergarten programs varies widely from state to state, report finds, but overall enrollment has declined, despite bipartisan support.
8. SNOW, DROUGHT AND HEAT: WELCOME TO SPRINGTIME IN WEST
More than 3 feet of snow hit parts of the Rockies, while some Arizona communities are rationing water due to drought and California is sweltering under high heat.
9. GAY MARRIAGE BAN CHALLENGED IN ‘LAST FRONTIER’
Five couples file lawsuit against Alaska’s prohibition of same-sex marriage, calling it unconstitutional.
10. NORTH CAROLINA HOUSE CANDIDATE DIES BEFORE RACE IS SETTLED
Keith Crisco, a man who went from pulling corn on a small farm to Harvard to Nixon’s White House, was trailing “American Idol” runner-up Clay Aiken by fewer than 400 votes. He died at age 71 after he fell in his house.