Fulton County

Cops: Pair failed to aid suicidal Gloversville teen

A Gloversville teenager attempted suicide in March and two adults who could have gotten him help did

A Gloversville teenager attempted suicide in March and two adults who could have gotten him help didn’t, police said Wednesday.

Now those two adults face felony reckless endangerment counts, accused of endangering the teen’s life.

The 17-year-old survived the suicide attempt, according to a Gloversville police press release, but he did so after being left alone overnight by the two adults. Only after a friend discovered the teen unresponsive and directed the two adults to call 911 was help summoned, police said.

Charged Monday with first-degree reckless endangerment were Raina Bailey, 43, and Kenney Balfour, 45, both of 14 W. Eighth Ave.

The incident happened in March, police said, when the unidentified 17-year-old attempted to overdose on numerous prescription medications. The date of the attempted overdose was not clear Wednesday, but police said the investigation began March 23.

Police could not be reached for further comment late Wednesday afternoon.

During the investigation, police learned Bailey and Balfour were in the same residence as the victim at the time. They were also made aware of the overdose by a friend of the victim. The two also went into the teen’s room, saw he had been vomiting and was not responsive. They also found a suicide note and empty pill bottles.

“The investigation showed Bailey and Balfour made no attempt to render aid or contact emergency services and allowed the victim to lay in bed overnight,” the press release reads.

Police did not outline what connection, other than being in the same residence, the two adults have with the teen. The release, however, included a contention by Balfour that the teen was not his child.

No one else, including the original friend, was charged with failing to get the teen aid.

Balfour’s declaration came as his bail was set at $5,000, 10 times the bail set for Bailey. As a result of his contention, the presiding judge reduced Balfour’s bail to $250, police said.

The teen did not get medical attention until the next morning, and then only after a friend directed Bailey and Balfour to summon help, police said. It was unclear if the friend was the same friend from the night before or someone different.

The teen was taken to Nathan Littauer Hospital and then to Albany Medical Center, where he spent some time recovering.

Someone is guilty of first-degree reckless endangerment, according to state law, “when, under circumstances evincing a depraved indifference to human life, he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to another person.”

Categories: -News-, Schenectady County

Leave a Reply