• Today’s stakes race at Saratoga Race Course is the $100,000 Quick Call, which is being run for the seventh time. The race owes its name to the thoroughbred who loved Saratoga so much that he won half his career victories there. Post time is
• Three locally loved musicians will hold a community dance event called Family Dances With Peter, Paul and George in Saratoga’s Congress Park from 10 to 11 a.m. Their music embraces an eclectic range of reels, jigs, polkas, hornpipes and waltzes. Their goal is to coax everyone onto the dance floor, so come mentally prepared.
• The three-man band The Zucchini Brothers, sometimes called “The Beatles of Kids’ Music,” will play a free show from 6 to 8 p.m. in Ballston Spa’s Wiswall Park gardens (located at 39 Front St.).
• At Caffe Lena, where Bob Dylan and Don McLean once strummed their guitars, and where enough rich musical history resides to merit a recent New York Times article, admission costs a mere $3 for Open Mic Night. Caffe Lena kicks off the night at 7:30 p.m. There’s no telling who will take the stage, but performances of any musical genre, poetry, comedy, and storytelling are allowed. The coffee house is located at 47 Phila St. in downtown Saratoga.
• Just around the corner from Caffe Lena, the Grateful Dead tribute act HalfStep is throwing a free show at Putnam Den for fans 18 and up. Anyone under 21 pays $5. The show starts at 9:30 p.m. at 63 Putnam St.
• It’s a bit of a drive, but Albany’s Alive at Five free summer concert series plays nothing but sweet, twangy country music from 5 to 8 p.m. tonight. You’ll hear Dustin Lynch and Jacob Powell play tonight.
• When better than Throwback Thursday to spend a night like the artists of the Renaissance? Taste & Paint Night at The Saratoga Winery begins at 6:30 p.m. Each $25 ticket comes with two wine glasses, which serve as canvases, and the use of paint brushes and paint in a group painting lesson. Making art can be hard work, so you’ll be provided with cheese, crackers, and a glass of wine or craft beer. Reservations are required — call 518-584-9463 to secure a spot. Alternatively, pub style trivia runs from 5 to 9 p.m. in the winery’s bar area. The winery is at 462 Route 29 in Milton (just west of Saratoga Springs).
GAZETTE COVERAGEEnsure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe
More from The Daily Gazette: