Here are 10 brain-teasers surrounding Saratoga Race Course to test you on the second Friday of the meet:
1. How many days was the first Saratoga meet, in 1863?
2. Last year was the 150th sesquicentennial of what major milestone?
3. What jockey won 11 consecutive Saratoga riding titles, starting in 1976?
4. “The Sultan of Saratoga” is buried in the track’s infield. What was his name?
5. What year did Sunday racing at Saratoga become permanent?
6. In what James Bond novel by Ian Fleming is Saratoga Race Course featured?
7. What was completed in 1967 and credited in part for the 1970s renaissance of racing at Saratoga?
8. What two thoroughbreds finished first in a dead heat in the 2012 Travers Stakes?
9. What did Gov. W. Averell Harriman guarantee a struggling Saratoga Race Course in legislation signed in August 1957?
10. The dirt track is 1 1⁄8 miles. How long is the inner turf track used for steeplechase racing?
ANSWERS: 1. Four. 2. Racing at the track’s current location. 3. Angel Cordero Jr. 4. Fourstardave. 5. 1979. 6. “Diamonds Are Forever.” 7. The Northway. 8. Alpha and Golden Ticket. 9. Twenty-four days of exclusive racing. 10. Seven-eighths of a mile.
GAZETTE COVERAGEEnsure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe
More from The Daily Gazette: