Music Haven founder Mona Golub was honored last Sunday as a Patroon by Schenectady Mayor Gary McCarthy.
It’s a testament to the incredible range of music she’s brought to Schenectady’s Central Park every summer for the past 25 years.
That tradition continues tonight, with the sounds of “nouveau zydeco” from one of the founders of the movement, Jeffery Broussard. The accordion and fiddle player made his name with Zydeco Force, the Opelousas, Louisiana, band famed for bringing a funkier, more bass-driven sound to traditional zydeco.
Broussard plays tonight with his new band, Jeffery Broussard & The Creole Cowboys. The show is free and outdoors, so bring a blanket or lawn chair — and your dancing shoes. The rain site is Proctors, 432 State St., Schenectady.
Free outdoor concerts, a summer tradition, continue throughout the region. Here are some to choose from in the coming two weeks:
• Freedom Park, Scotia, next to Jumpin’ Jack’s Drive-In. Shows start at 7 p.m. and go on in rain, but not “dangerous weather.”
Tonight: The Route Fifty 5
Wednesday, Hair of the Dog
Saturday: Chelsea Cavanaugh
Aug. 10: The Wister Quartet
Aug. 13: Grand Central Station
Aug. 16: Betsy & the ByeGons
Aug. 17: The Brian Patneaude Quartet
• Alive at Five, Jennings Landing, Albany, Thursdays at 5 p.m. Rain site: under the Interstate 787 overpass.
Thursday: Sheila E, the singer, drummer and percussionist who’s played with everyone from Prince to Herbie Hancock. This is the last in the summer series. Conehead Buddha opens.
• Music Haven, Schenectady’s Central Park, Sundays at 7 p.m. Rain site: Proctors.
Tonight: Jeffery Broussard & The Creole Cowboys
Aug. 10: Ghost Train Orchestra, with Colleen Pratt & Friends
• Jazz on Jay, Jay Street pedestrian mall, Schenectady, Thursdays at noon.
Thursday: The Mike Lawrence Trio
Aug. 14: The Arch Stanton Quartet
• Wiswall Park, Ballston Spa, Thursdays at 6 p.m.
Thursday: The Union Fire Company #2 Marching Band
Aug. 14: Holly & Evan
• UpBeat on the Roof, Skidmore College’s Tang Museum, Saratoga Springs, Fridays at 7 p.m. Rain site: inside the museum.
Friday: Jocelyn Arndt
Aug. 15: Elizabeth Woodbury Kasius & Heard
• Tuesday Nights in the Park, Cook Park amphitheater, Colonie, Tuesdays at 6 p.m.
Aug. 12: The Electric City Horns
• Shepard Park, Lake George, Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday: Marcia Ball
Aug. 13: Big Fea & The Surfmatics
• Rockin’ On the River, Riverfront Park, Troy, Wednesdays at 5 p.m.
Wednesday: Fleetwood Macked (Fleetwood Mac tribute), with Brian & Kevin Tiernan
Aug. 13: Who’s Bad (Michael Jackson tribute), with Good Sir
• Schaghticoke Summer Concerts, Schaghticoke Town Hall lawn, Melrose, Thursdays at 6:30.
Thursday: The Refrigerators
Aug. 14: The Joey Thomas Big Band
• Riverlink Concerts, Riverlink Park, Amsterdam, Saturdays at 7 p.m.
Saturday: Searson (Celtic)
Aug. 16: Town Mountain (bluegrass)
• Dana Park Concert Series, Madison Avenue and Lark Street, Albany, Mondays at 7 p.m. Rain site: Lionheart Pub, 448 Madison Ave.
Monday: John Hill
Aug. 11: The Nellies
• Canal Square Concert Series, Cohoes’ Canal Square, Fridays at 6 p.m. Rain site: Cohoes Senior Center at Cayuga Plaza.
Aug. 15: The Rymanowski Brothers Orchestra
GAZETTE COVERAGEEnsure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe
More from The Daily Gazette:
Categories: Entertainment, Schenectady County