Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. PLANE CRASH KILLS AT LEAST 19 IN TAIWAN
A TransAsia flight turned on its side midair and then careened into a river after takeoff from a Taipei airport, the latest plane disaster to beset Asia.
2. TRAIN STRIKES SUV ON TRACKS NORTH OF NYC, KILLING 7
Just before the crash, the railroad gates came down on top of the stopped Jeep, which then tried to pull forward, authorities say.
3. JORDANIAN RETRIBUTION IS SWIFT AFTER PILOT’S DEATH
Executions of two al-Qaida prisoners came hours after a gruesome video was released by the Islamic State group purportedly showing militants burning the captive Jordanian alive.
4. PENTAGON NOMINEE TO DECRY WASTEFUL SPENDING
In his prepared remarks for the Senate confirmation hearings, Ashton Carter will criticize both automatic cuts to the defense budget and expenditure waste.
5. WHAT THE CRACKDOWN ON GANGS IS CAUSING IN COLOMBIA
A military offensive against militias means there are fewer murders and kidnappings in the Latin American country. But it has given way to a rise in extortions and shakedowns.
6. BIGGEST CHANGE IN TV? HUGE RISE IN SUPPLY OF SHOWS
Cable, broadcast and streaming services offered 352 original scripted series last year, a 1,353% rise over 1999.
7. EMPLOYERS WALK THIN LINE ON MEASLES
An outbreak of the disease leaves bosses facing a quandary about what to do in case they suspect an employee isn’t vaccinated.
8. HOW FUR TRAPPERS ARE CAUGHT IN GLOBAL ECONOMY WOES
Low demand from buyers in China and Russia, whose economies have slowed down, means catching fur-bearing animals isn’t as lucrative anymore.
9. SUGE KNIGHT PLEADS NOT GUILTY
After entering the plea in his murder case, the former rap music mogul is rushed to a hospital, complaining of chest pain.
10. WHY DOW SURGED 305 POINTS
Investors are seeing signs that the long-running collapse in oil prices could be ending.
GAZETTE COVERAGEEnsure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe
More from The Daily Gazette: