Although the town review of a proposed Wal-Mart store on Route 50 is nearing its end, passions continued to run strong at a public hearing held Tuesday night in a sweltering high school gym.
About 200 people crowded onto gym bleachers for the hearing called by the town Planning Board. Although the crowd appeared roughly evenly split between supporters and opponents, most of those who spoke during nearly three hours of comment were against having the national big-box retailer on the southern edge of Ballston Spa.
“Village residents will be much more affected by this than the majority of people who live in the town of Ballston,” said Rebecca Shepherd of Ballston Spa. ”Please bring all your energy to bear to minimize the significant impact of this development.”
Wal-Mart has proposed a 137,000-square-foot merchandise and grocery store on the east side of Route 50 at Route 67. Although it complies with zoning for the site, the store has been controversial since it was first proposed in April 2014. About 600 people turned out for a public hearing in the Ballston Spa High School auditorium last November, most of them against it.
Tuesday’s hearing followed a decision by the Planning Board on July 9 that the proposed store will have no major unaddressed negative environmental impacts — a major step toward approval. Planning Board Chairman Richard Doyle said Tuesday’s hearing was part of the project’s next step, site plan approval.
The hearing was held in a steamy high school gym without air conditioning, because a play rehearsal was unexpectedly using the auditorium. Loud portable fans made it difficult for speakers to be heard, as crowd members repeatedly pointed out.
Those who spoke in favor of Wal-Mart cited their desire for a local grocery store, or the 300 jobs it is estimated will be created.
“We need a local grocery store that we can access. Right now we have to drive to Wilton or Clifton Park,” said Patricia Palmer, the first public speaker.
Many of the opponents said they are concerned about the traffic Wal-Mart will generate, and the impact of a big-box retailer on Ballston Spa’s community character.
“I’m not against development, but I’m against development that doesn’t complement the surrounding area,” said Dave Schlitzer of Ballston Spa. “We will continue to attract less attractive retail if this goes through.”
John Zepko, who lives on Zepko Lane behind the proposed store site, said he doesn’t believe the turn lane and traffic light Wal-Mart plans to install on Route 50 will be sufficient to handle the increased traffic, given that Route 50 is already congested much of the time. “I have never yet seen a traffic consultant come in and say it can’t be done,” he said. “The traffic issue remains.”
“I don’t understand how a 137,000-square-foot store on a crowded, two-lane road fits into the community,” said opponent Kim Andersen. “Let’s face it, it’s a big-box and doesn’t belong in a small town.”
Despite the tenor of many of the comments, Wal-Mart spokesman Bill Wertz, who was at the meeting, said public support for the project is growing. “We have a lot of supporters here,” he said. “We’ve really steadily increased the level of support from people in the community.”
Opponents, however, say a survey they did last year found that most Ballston residents are opposed to big-box development. A much larger Wal-Mart Supercenter proposed in 2004 was withdrawn because of public opposition, but landowner Rossi Development was able to get the site rezoned in 2011 to allow up to 137,000 square feet of retail space.
“When you look at what we sell, we really don’t compete with the majority of businesses in the village,” Wertz said. “I’m hopeful we’re close to the end of the process and can move forward.”
Doyle said the Planning Board will continue to take written comments through the end of business on Aug. 5. It isn’t known yet when the board will make its site plan review decision.
More from The Daily Gazette:
Categories: News, Schenectady County








