A 21-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the killing last summer of fellow Schenectady resident Kusaan Tolliver, police said today.
Jonathan M. Monforte faces one count of second-degree murder for allegedly killing Tolliver, 18, late on July 28. Monforte also faces weapons charges.
Tolliver was shot near 528 Schenectady St. that night. Paramedics took him to Ellis Hospital, where he died.
The U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force took Monforte into custody this morning. He was arraigned in City Court later in the morning and was ordered held.
He is due back in court Tuesday morning.
Tolliver’s family and friends recalled him after the shooting as a good kid. Born in Harlem, he spent much of his life in Schenectady and enjoyed rap music and telling jokes, his family said.
He also enjoyed basketball, according to his obituary, playing in local leagues at Jerry Burrell Park. Tolliver was the second of three people shot on a short stretch of Schenectady Street near Strong Street in a 10-day period. The other two victims, shot July 23 and Aug. 2, survived.
City police responded to the shootings by increasing patrols in the area and calling on the public to come forward with information.
Community members also made calls in the wake of Tolliver’s death to stop the violence. More than 50 attended a rally and marched to highlight the issues. A memorial built near the scene of his killing still stands.
Records indicate Monforte has been in trouble with the law previously. He faced charges in 2014 in Schenectady after allegedly violating an order of protection and choking his girlfriend. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of criminal contempt and was sentenced to time already served.
Reach Gazette reporter Steven Cook at 395-3122 or [email protected]
GAZETTE COVERAGEEnsure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe
More from The Daily Gazette:
Categories: News, Schenectady County