• Young (very) pianist Joey Alexander made his recording debut with “My Favorite Things,” nominated as Best Instrumental Jazz Album for the 2016 Grammy Awards. He wowed the audience at Schenectady’s Music Haven in August and will appear with his trio at the Woodstock Community Center on Jan. 30.
• High-spirited pianist Monty Alexander bridges the worlds of American jazz, popular song and the sounds of his native Jamaica. He will be joined by guitar virtuoso Frank Vignola and guest vocalist Caterina Zapponi for a Valentine’s Day concert at The Egg on Feb. 14.
• The Bridge Jazz Festival returns for a second year: two nights of music at two of the area’s best music venues. Tim Olsen/Eric Walentowicz duo, vocalist Nnenna Freelon and guitarist Pierre Bensusan will perform at the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall on Feb. 26, and The Arch Stanton Quartet, the No BS! Brass Band and Delfeayo and Ellis Marsalis will take the stage at the Massry Center for the Arts at The College of Saint Rose on Feb. 27.
• The Empire Jazz Orchestra will perform “Quiet Pride, The Elizabeth Catlett Project,” a suite based on sculptures by African-American artist Elizabeth Catlett, on April 12. Bassist Rufus Reid composed the suite and will appear with the EJO at Schenectady County Community College.
• Pianist Brad Mehldau combines traditional elements of jazz without being restricted by them. He has influenced musicians in and beyond jazz in their approaches to writing, playing, and choice of repertoire. He will perform with his trio at The Egg on April 16.
Caffe Lena, Saratoga Springs. 583-0022. www.caffelena.org
Jan. 8: Hot Club of Saratoga
The Egg, Albany. 473-1845, www.theegg.org
Jan. 29: Stefon Harris & Sonic Creed
Feb. 14: Monty Alexander’s Valentine String Ensemble featuring Frank Vignola, JJ Wiggins Shakur, and Catarina Zapponi
Feb. 20: Bebel Gilberto
April 16: Brad Mehldau Trio
May 15: John Pizzarelli Quartet
Iron Horse, Northampton, Mass. 413-584-0610, www.iheg.com
Jan. 23: Stephen Page Trio, and Juke Joint Jazz
April 4: Bill Charlap Trio
The Linda, Albany. 465-5233 ext. 4, www.wamc.org
March 3: Hot Club of Cowtown
Massry Center, College of Saint Rose, Albany, 337-4871. www.strose.edu/concerts
Feb. 27: The Bridge Jazz Festival with the Arch Stanton Quartet, the No BS! Brass Band, and Delfeayo Marsalis & Ellis Marsalis
April 7: Stewart Copeland & John Kimura Parker
Parish Public House, Albany. 465-0444, www.redsquarealbany.com
Jan. 23: Bobby Previte & the Visitors
Sanctuary for Independent Media, Troy
Jan. 9 and 10: Sketches Of Influence, live recording of Suite Lee (music in honor of Lee Shaw).
Schenectady County Community College, Schenectady. 381-1231
April 12: The Empire Jazz Orchestra with guest artist Rufus Reid.
Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs. 580-5321, www.skidmore.edu
Feb. 26: Robert Glasper Trio
April 22: Skidmore Jazz Ensembles
April 25: Skidmore Big Band
Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, Troy. 273-0038, www.troymusichall.org
Feb. 26: The Bridge Jazz Festival The Tim Olsen/Eric Walentowicz Duo and Nnenna Freelon and Pierre Bensusan
University at Albany Performing Arts Center, Albany. 442-3995, www.albany.edu/pac
April 11: University Jazz Ensemble
Van Dyck, Schenectady. 348-7999, www.vandycklounge.com
Jan. 5, Feb. 2, Mar. 1, Apr. 5 & May 3: Keith Pray Big Soul Ensemble
Jan. 22: Mike Stern
Wishing Well, Wilton. 393-8365, [email protected]
Jan. 10: Sonny & Perley.
Woodstock Community Center, Woodstock. 845-802-0029, www.jazzstock.com
Jan. 30: Joey Alexander Trio