Jonathan Monforte killed Kusaan Tolliver last July in retaliation for an earlier altercation, prosecutors said Thursday.
The comments came after Monforte, 21, formerly of Germania Avenue, pleaded guilty in Schenectady County Court to first-degree manslaughter.
Monforte is to get 25 years in prison at his April sentencing.
Monforte admitted to killing Tolliver, 18, late on July 28 near 528 Schenectady St.
Prosecutors said the shooting appeared to stem from an altercation earlier that day between Monforte, Tolliver and two others, also on Schenectady Street.
Prosecutor Philip Mueller said that according to witnesses, Monforte and Tolliver fought and Monforte got the worst of it. Tolliver also kicked Monforte in the head when Monforte was down, they said.
According to the prosecutor, a Tolliver associate went through Monforte’s car with Monforte’s girlfriend and child nearby. Monforte’s mother arrived, confronted the man and the man responded by pointing a gun at her.
Police responded to that incident and quickly arrested the man, identified by prosecutors as Bruce Campbell. Campbell had no gun at the time of his arrest and police charged him with menacing, Mueller said.
Later that day, Monforte sought out Tolliver, Mueller said.
He found Tolliver about 10 p.m. that evening on Schenectady Street, shot him in the upper body, killing him, Mueller said.
Monforte pleaded guilty before Judge Matthew Sypniewski.
Tolliver’s family and friends recalled him after the shooting as a good kid. Born in Harlem, he spent much of his life in Schenectady. He enjoyed rap music and telling jokes, family said.
More from The Daily Gazette:
Categories: News, Schenectady County








