Schenectady

Judge imposes 20 years to life in ‘execution’ murder

Defendant shot through a car seat to kill victim
Naseyf Salahuddin, right, with his attorney James Knox at left.
PHOTOGRAPHER:
Naseyf Salahuddin, right, with his attorney James Knox at left.

A man who  admitted to an execution-style killing received a sentence of 20 years to life in state prison Friday after an attempt to take back his plea caused a commotion in the gallery.

Naseyf Salahuddin, 19, pleaded guilty in February to second-degree murder in the January 2016 killing of Marquel Fallen on Germania Avenue.

Fallen’s family and friends filled one side of the courtroom gallery to witness Salahuddin’s sentencing. 

After an attempt early in the proceedings by Salahuddin to take back his plea — a request that is seldom granted — friends and family of the victim verbally expressed their shock, leading to a rebuke from the judge.

Later in the proceedings, Judge Matthew Sypniewski made it clear that he was denying Salahuddin’s request and the judge proceeded with sentencing as planned.

“Your acts were absolutely cowardly, vicious, anti-social and, even now with a smirk on your face, in front of the entire family of the victim in this case, you think you’re just going to come in here and say ‘I want my plea back.’

“Well, think again,” Sypniewski added.

Salahuddin admitted in February that he killed Fallen near 315 Germania Ave. Jan. 30, 2016. Salahuddin got into the back seat of Fallen’s car and then fired five times through the driver’s seat. Fallen was struck twice.

Prosecutor Brian Gray detailed the incident further in court Friday, saying Salahuddin got into the back seat of Fallen’s car, spoke with him in a friendly manner for about 30 seconds to make Fallen comfortable, then fired into Fallen’s seat.

Fallen was unarmed, peaceful and not even facing his attacker, Gray said.

Salahuddin was a member of a group called the Ku-Gang. The gang accused Fallen of selling drugs on their turf, Gray has said, and warned him about a week prior to the shooting.

Believing Fallen continued to sell drugs there, Salahudden sought him out and killed him, prosecutors say.

Salahuddin pleaded guilty after two doctors examined him and determined him to be competent to stand trial. Salahuddin’s defense requested the exams.

Friday’s proceedings began with Salahuddin’s attorney, James Knox, requesting to be taking off of the case, saying he couldn’t continue. Sypniewski ultimately denied the request.

As it became clear that Salahuddin would attempt to take back his plea, a woman in the gallery responded, “This is ridiculous.”
Sypniewski ordered her out of the courtroom, warning those remaining what could happen if  there were another outburst. He then turned his attention back to the proceedings.

A second commotion erupted from the gallery with at least two people speaking. “You ain’t getting out of that 20 years, bro,” one man said to Salahuddin. He was referring to the sentence the defendant had previously agreed to.

They were ushered out; Sypniewski warned that the next person who interrupted court would be held in contempt and face jail. 

There were no other outbursts.

In denying Salahuddin’s request to withdraw his plea, the judge found the questions asked at the plea hearing firmly showed Salahuddin knew what he was doing by pleading guilty. 

The judge later imposed the agreed-upon 20-to-life sentence. Salahuddin won’t be eligible for parole until he is 39.

Categories: News, Schenectady County

Leave a Reply