This season, Schenectady’s Music Haven series weaves in local musicians with international bands to break down musical and cultural barriers.
The series, which runs on Sundays from July 9 to Aug. 13, has a longstanding tradition of bringing international music to Schenectady.
“We’ll be musically traveling more than 26,000 miles this summer from start to finish, all in the comfort of Central Park,” said Mona Golub, the series artistic director.
Fiddler/accordionist Sharon Shannon will open the series on a Celtic note and Yemen Blues will end it with an international mix of jazz, funk and blues music. Throughout the series, genres will blend with American jazz mixing with a Middle Eastern twist.
More Perreca’s will be at Central Park with show-themed food each week. Wolf Hollow Brewing Company will be on tap and Ben & Jerry’s will also be at the park.
As always, Proctors will be the official rain site for the series. Each show kicks off on 7 p.m.
Here’s a full look at the lineup:
- July 9: Sharon Shannon—Superstar Irish fiddler/accordionist
- July 16: Amadou & Mariam—Malian Afropop pioneers
- July 23: El Septeto Santiaguero—Propulsive Grammy-winning Cuban dance band
- July 30: BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet—Legendary Cajun combo
- August 6: Amir ElSaffar & Two Rivers Ensemble—The Middle East meets American jazz
- August 13: Yemen Blues—Bold blend of Arabian funk, jazz and soul
For more information, visit musichavenstage.org.
More from The Daily Gazette: