SCHENECTADY — A Schenectady man has been charged with raping a child younger than 11 over the summer, authorities said.
Arnold S. O’Brien, 19, of Haigh Avenue, was arraigned last week in Schenectady County Court on first-degree rape and first-degree criminal sexual act charges, prosecutor John Carson said. O’Brien pleaded not guilty.
O’Brien is accused of raping the child, who was known to him, on June 25 in Schenectady, Carson said.
The investigation began quickly after the incident, as the child ran to a trusted adult and disclosed what happened, and police were soon notified, Carson said.
The indictment is the result of a lengthy investigation that included interviews and the collection of forensic evidence, police said.
If convicted of either charge, O’Brien would face up to 25 years in prison.
O’Brien remained held Tuesday in Schenectady County jail without bail.
GAZETTE COVERAGEEnsure access to everything we do, today and every day, check out our subscribe page at DailyGazette.com/Subscribe
More from The Daily Gazette:
Categories: News, Schenectady County