Albany

Man convicted in fatal Albany stabbing

Prosecutors argue that bail reform proposal is dangerous
shutterstock_560908090_1_25.jpg
PHOTOGRAPHER:

Categories: News, Schenectady County

ALBANY — An Albany man was convicted Thursday of stabbing a man to death last year.

Richard Quinn, 64, was found guilty of second-degree murder for the June 25 death of Marc Douglas in the area of Grand Street and Madison Avenue in Albany, officials said.

Prosecutors argued Quinn stabbed Douglas after an argument at about 1 a.m. that day.

Quinn had multiple open legal cases, prosecutors said, but he was free at the time of the stabbing — without having been required to post bail. 

“Richard Quinn was a dangerous criminal who never should have been on our streets. But at the time of the murder, he was released without bail over our objection,” Albany County District Attorney David Soares said in a prepared statement. “This case proves why any bail reform proposal must allow judges to consider the safety of the community, unlike current law. The Governor’s current proposal fails to fix the flaw that caused this tragedy.”

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has proposed bail reform that, in part, would eliminate monetary bail for those facing misdemeanors and non-violent felonies. The exact nature of Quinn’s prior cases was not included in a district attorney’s office press release.

Quinn faces up to 25 years to life in state prison at his March 8 sentencing.

Leave a Reply