Schenectady man sentenced in ‘Facebook Live’ shooting case

'You’re probably going to spend the rest of your life in a correctional facility, because if you don’t change... you’re going to reoffend.'
Logan is seen in court Monday, as he is sentenced to 10 years in prison.
Logan is seen in court Monday, as he is sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Categories: News, Schenectady County

SCHENECTADY — A man who was shot by police during a standoff that was broadcast live on Facebook in June 2017 was sentenced to 10 years in prison Monday. 

Anthony Logan, 24, was sentenced to 10 years for felony criminal possession of a weapon, as well as several misdemeanors, such as tampering with a witness, second-degree menacing, reckless endangerment and criminal contempt, which each carry one-year sentences that will be served concurrently. 

Logan was apprehended after police opened fire on him on June 5 at 535 Mumford St., where Logan had been keeping police at bay by telling them he had a firearm. Police fired after Logan made a quick motion that police thought was an attempt to fire a gun at officers. 

Logan was hit twice. The incident began when police responded to a domestic violence report.

Logan was eventually charged with choking his wife, but the jury acquitted him on that misdemeanor charge because prosecutors couldn’t locate his wife to testify at trial.

The most serious count against Logan, the weapons charge, involved a bag that police officers saw Logan throw to a neighboring house early in the standoff. Inside the bag was a sawed-off rifle. The house Logan threw the bag toward was vacant, formerly belonging to Logan’s mother, who was recently deceased at the time of the incident in 2017, according to court proceedings. 

In 2013, Logan served two years on another weapons charge, according to prosecutor Christina Tremante-Pelham. 

“This is the case of a man who didn’t just possess a loaded firearm, but created a standoff with police,” Tremante-Pelham said in court proceedings on Monday. “A man who showed a total disregard for law and order, and authority … and did all of this while he was on parole.”

In her statement, Tremante-Pelham stressed that while Logan was eventually found to be unarmed after throwing the sawed-off rifle to the vacant house next door, not only could that weapon — which she said was loaded — be used to cause further harm, but Logan’s insistence to police officers that he had a gun put everyone in the area at risk, including the officers. 

“He did everything he could do to make them think he had a gun,” Tremante-Pelham said in proceedings, before repeating testimony from a Schenectady police officer who responded to the standoff. “I was ready to get shot first before I shot my weapon [at Logan].” 

Logan’s attorney, Frederick Rench, said the only person endangered by Logan’s actions was the defendant himself, and that, while maintaining his client’s innocence, mental illness could have played a role. 

“This was crazy from the beginning,” Rench said. “What this man did was mainly endanger himself by going around that porch and saying a variety of crazy things, getting himself shot by police at close range.”

Ultimately, Judge Michael V. Coccoma said his decision to sentence the 24-year-old to a decade in prison came down to his likelihood to re-offend. 

“I don’t have a crystal ball, and no one has a crystal ball in life, but it is the opinion of this court that the second you get back out on the street, you’re going to try to get yourself another gun,” Coccoma said, adding that there were no mitigating factors in his sentencing decision beyond Logan’s age. “You’re probably going to spend the rest of your life in a correctional facility, because if you don’t change your behavior, you’re going to re-offend.” 

Reach Daily Gazette reporter Jake Lahut at 518-322-2358, [email protected] or @JakeLahut on Twitter.

Leave a Reply