Schenectady

Letter: Union dues are not going to politicians

William Cook, Schenectady
PHOTOGRAPHER:

 

On Aug. 9, Mr. Mark Brockbank’s opinions don’t square with the facts. In 1977, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously in the case of Abood v. Detroit Board of Education that it’s legal for a closed union shop in the public sector, meaning that everyone pays for the union to engage in collective bargaining. The Abood decision did state that those employees in a closed shop had the right to not pay through their dues for the union’s political activity; thus, the agency fee was created. This has been the law of the land for over 40 years until this Supreme Court overturned the precedent-setting case of Abood in the latest Supreme Court ruling known as Janus v. AFSCME.

As for the financial contributions to the Clinton for President campaign by the National Association of Letter Carriers (NALC); these contributions were made by people like me and others who contribute their own money to the Letter Carrier Political Fund. None of this money is dues money. The NALC collects voluntary contributions and uses those funds to support those candidates who support our issues. Thus, none of Mr. Brockbank’s money was used to contribute to the Clinton’s 2016 campaign for president.

In the postal service, the labor unions are open shop unions, meaning there are not and never has been compulsory dues or agency fees for any postal service employee. Even so, the NALC is more than 95 percent organized with voluntary dues-paying members, leaving 5 percent as freeloaders.

William Cook

Schenectady

Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion

0 Comments

No Comment.