Toss out what you know about wings.
The 23 Schenectady restaurants participating in the sold-out Wing Walk on Saturday are serving up some of their wackiest wing recipes.
Starting at noon, the walk will take participants all over the city in a search for the most flavorful and wackiest wings. The event runs until 5 p.m., and attendees can vote for some of their favorite varieties.
Despite the increase in the number of tickets offered, from 1,500 in 2017 to 2,000 this year, the walk sold out days before the event, according to the Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corp., which runs the event.
“With a record number of participants, a record number of tickets and the earliest sellout to date, the Wing Walk has established itself as a must-attend event in downtown Schenectady,” said DSIC executive director Jim Salengo.
Attendees must pick up their tickets, along with a map of participating restaurants and a ballot for voting, after 10 a.m. on Saturday. Walkers can present their tickets at each restaurant and vote on their favorite entries after sampling at least 10 wings. Ballots should be dropped off in the Wing Walk drop box by 5:15 p.m. at one of five locations around downtown.
Here’s a glimpse into some of the wings on the walk this year:
- Smores and more: At Mad Jack Brew Pub at The Van Dyck, they’re taking inspiration from a favorite summertime dessert. They’re offering hot chocolate porter beer-infused wings with a marshmallow dipping sauce.
- Classic combos: What’s more classic than peanut butter and jelly? Nico’s Rooftop Tavern is banking on the widespread appeal of that combo with their peanut butter and jelly wings. They’ll cook the wings in a melted peanut butter sauce and top them with a raspberry sauce.
- Perfect partnership: Memphis BBQ and The Dilly Bean will work together on the walk. A first for both businesses, they’ll be serving up a classic smoked BBQ wing with “everythang” sauce. Memphis BBQ, located on Van Vranken, hasn’t been able to be a part of the walk due to the location. But this year, they’ll be at The Dilly Bean on Jay Street serving up wings all afternoon.
- Sweet and spicy: A few chefs are betting on the appeal of adding a bit of a fruity flavor to their classically spicy wings. Over at 20 North Broadway Tavern, expect notes of blueberry with a chipotle sauce. At 151 Bar & Restaurant, they’ll be mixing black cherry bourbon with chipotle. Mexican Radio will be offering a spicy peach wing and Ya Ya’s House of Southern Cuisine will have a Thai sweet and hot chili wing. Since reopening in their new location on Broadway, Ya Ya’s owner Amanda Thompson said she’s excited to serve up food that’s good for the soul.
- A fine first: Johnny’s Restaurant will be a stop on the walk for the first time this year, with their Frankie’s Wings. They’re a mix of sherry-glazed cherry peppers, roasted garlic, parmesan cheese and fresh herbs.
For information, visit downtownschenectady.org.
More from The Daily Gazette:
Categories: Life and Arts