Schenectady DA: Arraignment expected in baby Rayen Puleski case

Details of the indictment involving Rayen's mother remain unknown
Heaven Puleski is led to a Sheriff's Department van after her arraignment on Aug. 15 in Schenectady City Court.
Heaven Puleski is led to a Sheriff's Department van after her arraignment on Aug. 15 in Schenectady City Court.

SCHENECTADY — The mother of Rayen Puleski, the 4-month-old who disappeared earlier this summer and was later found dead, is to be arraigned Wednesday on an indictment in the case.

Heaven Puleski, 38, has been held since her August arrest on one count each of tampering with physical evidence and concealment of a human corpse, both felonies, and a child endangerment count.

Exactly what charges Puleski will face as a result of the grand jury’s finding unknown Tuesday. Grand juries hear extra evidence and decide on the final set of charges to be brought to trial.

The cause of Rayen’s death has yet to be released.

The Schenectady County District Attorney’s Office confirmed Puleski is slated to appear in county court, but officials said they could not discuss details of the indictment because it remains sealed.

Puleski’s attorney, Lara Barnett, said late Tuesday afternoon that she did not have details of the indictment. She had only been informed of the appearance. She would not comment further.

Puleski remains in the Schenectady County Jail on $20,000 bail.

Rayen’s body was found wrapped in plastic bags in a grassy area behind 766 State St. on Aug. 9. Police believe Rayen died sometime between July 17 and July 23. July 17 is the day family members believe Rayen was last seen alive.

The allegations, as charged in August, involve Puleski’s use of heroin while “being responsible for the care” of Rayen in July and her intentional disposal of Rayen’s body to prevent its discovery.


The Daily Gazette previously spoke with Sabrina Moore, who said she was told by prosecutors to plan on testifying in front of a grand jury at some point as a witness in the case. Moore, a friend of Puelski’s, recalled Puleski being visited by Child Protective Services employees twice in a four-day span while the two lived together at 766 State St., the property behind which Rayen’s body was found.

On another occasion, Moore said she had to revive Heaven with Narcan after the single mother overdosed on heroin with the baby in the room.


Categories: News, Schenectady County

Leave a Reply