SARATOGA SPRINGS — The warehouse and logistics industry has an economic impact in Saratoga County of $166 million a year, a new report finds.
The Warehouse and Logistics Index released Tuesday by The Saratoga County Prosperity Partnership found that:
- Employment has grown from 1,470 jobs in 2001 to 1,772 in 2017.
- The average annual wage grew from $36,221 in 2007 to $46,755 in 2018.
- The fastest-growing subsectors are warehousing and storage, up 225% since 2004, and transit and ground transportation, up 137% during the same period.
- The biggest warehousing challenge, cited by 54% of respondents, is limited warehouse and storage capacity, followed by limited warehouse space for expansion, named by 31%.
- The biggest logistics/transportation challenge, identified by 68% of respondents, is cost control, followed by customer service/customer experience at 36%.
Also, 41% of respondents plan to increase employment over the next 12 months, though 53% cite inability to attract/retain a qualified workforce as a major problem.