Documents: Man accused of Schenectady woman’s death threatened to kill her in 2017, she alleged

He killed her early Wednesday, police say, more than 20 hours before a 911 call summoned officers to the scene.
A police spokesman at the scene Thursday; Defendant Budhnarain Kadar (inset)
A police spokesman at the scene Thursday; Defendant Budhnarain Kadar (inset)

SCHENECTADY – The man accused of strangling a city woman to death last week had previously threatened her life, more than two years earlier, according to allegations filed in 2017 court case obtained Monday.

Marian Loftis told police in May of that year that, after bouts of arguments between her and Budhnarain Kadar, he pushed her back onto a couch as she attempted to stand up, according to the statement she provided then.

“Me and my boyfriend Budhnarain have been arguing a lot,” Loftis wrote in the May 19, 2017 domestic incident report filed in the case.

She had been laying on the couch, treating her back and he had been repeatedly bothering her, she wrote.

“When I tried to stand up to leave the room he pushed me back down on the couch. He wouldn’t let me stand up to leave,” she wrote. “While arguing, he said he was going to kill me and himself in the house.”

Kadar is accused of strangling Loftis, 35, to death at about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday morning at 856 Maplewood Ave., where they lived, according to the police allegations. Loftis has also gone by the name Marian Singh.

Police weren’t called to the address until about 10 p.m. Wednesday evening, more than 20 hours after police now believe she died. A call led officers there for an unknown incident. Once they arrived, officers discovered Loftis’ body. 

An autopsy Thursday determined her cause of death and police Friday caught up with Kadar. His location of arrest is listed in records as Interstate 890.

If convicted of second-degree murder, Kadar would face up to 25 years to life in state prison.

Services for Loftis were scheduled Monday morning at Lights Funeral Home, according to Loftis’ obituary.

The May 2017 allegations against Kadar marked the second time in as many months that police had been called on him related to Loftis.

A Schenectady City Court judge, on March 20, 2017, issued a full stay-away order of protection against Kadar related to Loftis, according to allegations in his May 2017 case. Details of the earlier allegations are no longer available.

The full stay-away order, which was set to expire then in March 2018, barred Kadar from having any contact with her. Loftis indicated in her statement she didn’t know it was a stay-away order.

Kadar was charged based off the May 2017 allegations with first-degree criminal contempt, a felony, accused of violating the prior order of protection through physical contact.

He was also charged with second-degree unlawful imprisonment, a misdemeanor, related to the allegations he pushed her down on the couch and refused to let her stand to leave the house.

In the May 2017 domestic incident report, Loftis is recorded as telling officials that an argument got “physical” about a week before.

She indicated in a series of yes or no questions that Kadar had threatened to kill her, was violently and constantly jealous of her and physical violence had increased in the previous six months.

At that point, May 19, 2017, she indicated that Kadar had not strangled or choked her. She also indicated “no” to the question “Is suspect capable of killing you or children?”

As the May 2017 incident progressed, Loftis indicated she managed to get out of the house to go to work, but Kadar followed.

But he responded by standing in the driveway, blocking her from leaving, she reported then.

“He kept slamming his hands on my hood and I was really scared,” her statement read.

The case ended in July 2017 as Kadar pleaded guilty to violation harassment, court records show.

Categories: News, Schenectady County

Leave a Reply