Police: Officer attacked on bus in Colonie to be out at least a week; Suspect from Malta charged

The suspect remained hospitalized Wednesday, police say
Colonie Police Investigator Brian Curran, left, Defendant Jerson D. Vargas, right
Colonie Police Investigator Brian Curran, left, Defendant Jerson D. Vargas, right

COLONIE – A Colonie police investigator attacked on a bus near Colonie Center Tuesday will be out of work at least a week due to his injuries, the department said Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the man accused of attacking the investigator remained hospitalized but has now been formally charged in the attack, police said.

Jerson D. Vargas, 42, of Malta, is accused of attacking Colonie Police Inv. Brian Curran Tuesday afternoon on a CDTA bus, police said.

Curran was taken to Albany Medical Center as a result with injuries to his head, neck, shoulders and body, police said. Curran was released from the hospital late Tuesday and is now at home recovering, police said.

“Investigator Curran would like us to pass on his thanks to all the well-wishers from the public, police departments and fire departments,” the department said in a release Wednesday.

To show his resilience, Curren provided the department a photo of himself to release, police said.

Vargas suffered minor facial injuries in the incident, but also had to be sedated at the scene due to his behavior, police said. He remained hospitalized Wednesday and his release date was unknown, police said.

Police have formally charged Vargas with one count of second-degree assault, a felony, along with misdemeanor counts of resisting arrest and criminal tampering and violation harassment.

Vargas was issued an appearance ticket Wednesday afternoon. Police said the appearance ticket was necessary due to his admittance to the hospital and unknown release date.

The incident happened just before 3 p.m. Tuesday at a bus stop on Central Avenue in front of Colonie Center, police said. 

CDTA had summoned police for an unruly passenger that was reported to have urinated on the bus and spit on the driver.

Curran arrived first and tried to get the passenger to leave the bus. Curran then entered the bus himself. There were no other passengers on board at the time.

Without warning, Vargas then attacked Curran, police said, punching him in the face and wrestling him to the ground. Vargas also slammed Curran’s head into the wall and floor of the bus several times before a backup officer and passing civilian intervened, police said.

An additional officer arrived and police ultimately used a department Taser on Vargas and took him into custody.

Categories: News, Saratoga County, Schenectady County

Leave a Reply