Sunday’s Grade II Lake Placid Stakes provides a good potential for a valuable return with Queens Embrace (6-1) entered in an eight-horse field at 1-1/8 miles over the inner turf.
The filly broke out in her last race at Monmouth, breaking away from the field in the stretch to win by 4 1/2 lengths. She leads the field in every speed and pace rating and has finished in the money in four of her five turf races with three wins. This will be her first race with Tyler Gaffalione up.
Her best competition will be Cat’s Pajamas, the 5-2 morning line favorite, who has also impressed in her last race with a game push to finish a half-length ahead of Lashara (4-1). Both closed well in that 1 1/16-mile inner turf race at Belmont, which leads me to believe that they will still have something in the tank for the extra half furlong.
- FIRST RACE: 1-Dowse’s Beach, 3-Dr. Shane, 7-Banana Thief, 2-Power Up Paynter.
- SECOND RACE: 5-Deep Sea, 2-Lazarus Project, 3-Vicar’s Legend, 7-Hardcore Folklore.
- THIRD RACE: 1-Dovima, 3-Halo City, 4-In Front, 2-Witch Moon.
- FOURTH RACE: 3-Candy Cornell, 5-Releasethethunder, 6-Twelfth Labour, 2-Ryan’s Cat.
- FIFTH RACE: 11-Effinity, 4-Thin White Duke, 1A-Mischievous Dream, 2-Martinez.
- SIXTH RACE: 6-Leitone, 5-Financial System, 8-Isotherm, 9-Kroy.
- SEVENTH RACE: 9-Lucifers Lair, 6-Peachy Queen, 8-Dressy, 5-Capstone Girl.
- EIGHTH RACE: 5-Light In The Sky, 2-Saratoga Love, 4-My Sassy Sarah, 8-Officer Hutchy.
- NINTH RACE: 4-Queens Embrace, 3-Lashara, 8-Cat’s Pajamas, 1-Speaktomeofsummer.
- TENTH RACE: 2-Control Group, 7-Malibu Pro, 4-Scarf It Down, 6-Grit And Glory.
Oak Hill (fifth), Digital Age (ninth), Midnight Whiskey (eleventh).
Record for meet: 5-for-31.
More from The Daily Gazette: