If Ahead of Plan (5-2) leaves the gate in Thursday’s fifth race as the off-odds favorite, it will be the fourth time in as many starts for the 4 year old. He made his debut at Saratoga in the 2018 meet and led for most of the sprint only to lose by a neck.
Since then, his career has been marked by long layoffs, including 10 months after his first race and 11 months since his most recent race, but the public never failed to see his potential. Even in his attempt on turf last year at Saratoga, where he broke poorly and never really recovered, the public still had his back.
Thursday’s six-furlong race may be his best chance to finally break his maiden. He returns to dirt, the value of the race is the lowest of his career, and the surface, length, and location of Thursday’s race match that first 2018 effort. I believe he can get it done Thursday, but if not now, when?
- FIRST RACE: 5-Moscato, 3-Optimus Prime, 4-Gibralfaro, 6-Surprising Soul.
- SECOND RACE: 5-Carthon, 3-Wonder In, 4-Invest, 6-Thomas Shelby.
- THIRD RACE: 7-Lost Lake, 6-Plum Ali, 4-Stunning Princess, 3-Mo Normal.
- FOURTH RACE: 1-Fresco, 3-Officer Hutchy, 2-Dixie Cannon, 5-Holmdel Park.
- FIFTH RACE: 4-Ahead Of Plan, 6-Irish Front, 3-New Frontier, 2-O’Trouble.
- SIXTH RACE: 4-Primacy, 9-Kitten By The Sea, 2-Wild Love, 6-Pure Wow.
- SEVENTH RACE: 10-Bertranda, 3-Fierce Lady, 8-My Roxy Girl, 12-Bustin To Please.
- EIGHTH RACE: 3-Union Colonel, 7-Souper Energizer, 9-Its A Wrap, 4-French Reef.
- NINTH RACE: 4-Honest Mischief, 1-Wendell Fong, 3-Admiral Lynch, 2-Bon Raison.
- TENTH RACE: 11-Financialstability, 4-Mandatory Payout, 9-Mine The Coin, 1-Oh My Papa.
Snap Decision (first), Cross Border (third).
Record for meet: 11-for-51.