The Grade II Ballston Spa will be run over 1 1/16 miles on the inner turf in Saturday’s third race, and all eyes are expected to be on Sistercharlie (2-5). The 6-year-old mare will make her first start outside of a Grade I stakes race since June 2018. Over this span of seven races, she has won each but her most recent result, which came last November. She has only finished one race outside the money (a fourth place finish in her second race) in her impressive career.
Some may be concerned with the 266-day layoff she has leading up to the race, but that may not be an important factor. Since 2013, three horses have started a Grade II turf race at today’s distance with a layoff of at least 250 days. Of those three, two won their race, and the other finished second.
Starship Jubilee (2-1) warrants a look with her success at this distance (4-1-2 in eight races), as well as a series of strong recent workouts.
- FIRST RACE: 1-Speightstown Gal, 5-The Important One, 7-First Appeal, 6-Lovely La La.
- SECOND RACE: 7-Midnight Surprise, 5-Munnings Muse, 8-Bankers Daughter, 4-Lucky Girl.
- THIRD RACE: 5-Sistercharlie, 6-Starship Jubilee, 1-Call Me Love, 4-Another Broad.
- FOURTH RACE: 2-Cape Cod Diva, 3-Lady C, 4-Gone Glimmering, 5-Wedontbelieveher.
- FIFTH RACE: 9-Sir Alfred James, 10-Standup, 5-Dubai Bobby, 4-Three Outlaws.
- SIXTH RACE: 1A-Bronzed, 8-Mojovation, 5-Aristocratic, 6-Coltandmississippi.
- SEVENTH RACE: 8-Lonesome Fugitive, 6-Perjury Trap, 1A-Maroon Maniac, 7-Proven Strategies.
- EIGHTH RACE: 7-Leitone, 1-You’Re To Blame, 2-Dynamax Prime, 4-Blugrascat’S Smile.
- NINTH RACE: 3-Simply, 4-Barleewon, 12-Stanhope, 7-Mo Ready.
- TENTH RACE: 4-Volatile, 3-Firenze Fire, 5-Mind Control, 2-Whitmore.
- ELEVENTH RACE: 6-Micromillion, 5-Timeless Journey, 10-Baby Girl, 9-Molly’S Nighthawk.
Assume (first), Turned Aside (ninth).
Record for meet: 18-for-71.