Good Governance is ready to break out. The 4-year-old will be making his fourth start, (his third at Saratoga), in Sunday’s ninth race, the 1 1/16-mile Grade II Bernard Baruch Handicap, run on the inner turf.
He pulled away from a decent field in his last outing at Belmont, demonstrating the running style that has been rewarded in turf races at a route distance so far this meet. He has not demonstrated much in the way of speed figures, and the hope is that this could throw public bettors off his scent, despite his listing as the morning line favorite.
He will likely start the race chasing Halladay (2-1), who ships up from Florida on a two-race win streak.
The colt should set a faster pace than Good Governance is used to, and it will be a difficult task to keep close until the stretch without using up the energy needed for that last push. With familiar jockey Irad Ortiz Jr. up, Good Governance should find himself well positioned for that breakout run.
- FIRST RACE: 5-Silver Token, 3-Advanced Strategy, 2-Shandian, 8-Smite.
- SECOND RACE: 2-Judge N Jury, 6-Effinity, 5-Arrowheart, 1-Work Out.
- THIRD RACE: 5-Shootin The Breeze, 10-Road To Meath, 4-Make A Stand, 9-Mandate.
- FOURTH RACE: 2-Victory Boulevard, 6-The Great Dansky, 1-Justin Front, 5-Cryptographer.
- FIFTH RACE: 1-Mad Maddy, 7-Pitaman, 10-River Tiber, 11-Spicy Marg.
- SIXTH RACE: 11-Cost Benefit, 1-Jazzique, 3-Logic N Reason, 6-Witez.
- SEVENTH RACE: 6-Morning Breez, 7-American Mandate, 4-Stage Left, 8-Fast Getaway.
- EIGHTH RACE: 6-Basquiat, 2-Happy Saver, 3-High Amplitude, 7-Summer Kid.
- NINTH RACE: 2-Good Governance, 5-Olympico, 3-Somelikeithotbrown, 6-Halladay.
- TENTH RACE: 11-Prince Of Caps, 10-Turn Of Events, 8-Economic Policy, 6-Bold Gem.
Midnight Surprise (second), Volatile (tenth).
Record for meet: 20-for-82.