The last time Thebigfundamental (6-1) broke through the gates for a race, it was into the mud at Parx.
He was the favorite. In the stretch, he dueled Someday Jones ahead of almost the entire field, finishing a nose behind. That race was almost a year and a half ago. Someday Jones went on to be a multiple stakes winner at the Mid-Atlantic tracks, and Thebigfundamental had to wait.
He makes his return in Wednesday’s sixth race, a claimer at 6 1/2 furlongs on dirt, and he appears ready. His workouts suggest he is back in racing form, and if his speed is back to where he left off, the rest of the field may have a difficult time matching him. He also reunites with jockey John R. Velazquez, under whom he has collected each of his three career wins and never finished outside the money.
There is a question concerning his move to a sprint as he has never raced below a mile, but past Saratoga meet data shows almost no difference in the average finish position of any thoroughbred who has run at Saratoga since 2013 (average finish position 4.75) and those that are moving from a route to a sprint (4.8).
- FIRST RACE: 1-Sixty Five, 5-Fast Car, 7-Whitman’s Poetry, 4-Critical Data.
- SECOND RACE: 4-Belleza, 8-Miss Ross, 7-Cross Keys, 1-Big Al’s Gal.
- THIRD RACE: 5-New Day Dawning, 9-Positive Skew, 6-Stormy Derby Day, 2-Super Cute.
- FOURTH RACE: 6-Vicarage, 1A-Ashiham, 1-Ajhar, 3-First Line.
- FIFTH RACE: 1-War Canoe, 4-Classic Lady, 2-Wegetsdamunnys, 3-Love And Love.
- SIXTH RACE: 6-Thebigfundamental, 1-Reed Kan, 3-Pete’s Play Call, 5-American Power.
- SEVENTH RACE: 4-Sayyaaf, 6-Mick’s Star, 3-Readyforprimetime, 10-Kitten’s Cat.
- EIGHTH RACE: 2-Bebe Banker, 8-Danny California, 5-Giant Shoes, 6-Blackjack Davey.
- NINTH RACE: 8-Devamani, 2-Therapist, 6-Backsideofthemoon, 4-Just Howard.
- TENTH RACE: 4-Sequin, 1A-Sevnteeneightysevn, 1-Zaccapa, 8-American Goddess.
Record for meet: 20-for-92.