Endorsed (7-5) enters Sunday’s Alydar Stakes in need of a win against stakes competition before he can potentially take another shot at a graded field.
The 4-year-old colt is coming off a disappointing finish in the Grade I Metropolitan Mile at Belmont, where he looked positioned for a stretch charge, but found himself left behind. Sunday’s race, run at 1 1/8 miles on the dirt, will be a significant drop in class, and that might be all the help he needs to earn him his first stakes win.
He should be challenged by Tenfold (4-1), another regular-graded racer who may be using this race to prep for another stakes run. He is coming off a short layoff and switches to new jockey Jose Ortiz.
Those looking for a credible upset pick should focus on Backsideofthemoon (15-1), who tends to find himself among the frontrunners late recently despite receiving little public backing in his last three races. At post time, he will likely be the most undervalued horse in the field.
- FIRST RACE: 3-We Should Talk, 2-Stoney Bennett, 7-Deep Sea, 1-Vineyard Sound.
- SECOND RACE: 1-Frankel At Ascot, 3-Classic Colors, 4-Fluffy Socks, 7-Misspell.
- THIRD RACE: 2-Say Moi, 1-Smooth With A Kick, 3-Wild Love, 4-Critical Value.
- FOURTH RACE: 2-Steal My Sunshine, 6-Saratoga Commando, 7-Fouette, 4-Union Gables.
- FIFTH RACE: 4-Lady Rosalie, 5-Windfall Profit, 8-Thankful, 6-Bastet.
- SIXTH RACE: 6-Primacy, 2-Timely Tradition, 5-Secondary Market, 1-Escape Fund.
- SEVENTH RACE: 9-Stretchthestory, 4-Aunt Nadine, 5-Mo Me Mo My, 10-Summer Fortune.
- EIGHTH RACE: 5-Mr Jaggers, 3-Shamrocket, 6-Forever Poe, 2-Our Country.
- NINTH RACE: 1-Endorsed, 6-Tenfold, 2-Backsideofthemoon, 4-Its All Relevant.
- TENTH RACE: 9-Pier Forty, 8-Brunate, 1-Imperio D, 4-Bank Gala.
Risky Mischief (third), Hieroglyphics (fourth), Serengeti Empress (seventh), My Sister Nat (ninth), Gamine (tenth), Blitchton Lady (twelfth)..
Record for meet: 49-for-184.
More from The Daily Gazette: