Last year’s Travers Stakes runner-up, Tacitus (1-1), is back and ready to pick up his first win at Saratoga when he enters the Grade I Woodward Stakes, run at 1 1/4 miles on dirt.
The talented colt ran twice at Saratoga in 2019, also in the Grade II Jim Dandy, and was the runner-up that time as well. His last race was the Grade II Suburban, run at Saturday’s distance, and he won that handily by 8 3/4 lengths.
In the Suburban, he was ridden by John R Velazquez, but Saturday, he moves back to Jose Ortiz, his jockey for all of 2019. Velazquez does not have another mount in this race, so there seems little to worry about there.
If one is looking for an upset today, Moretti (8-1) tends to run to the level of his competition and showed enough speed in the muddy Flat Out Stakes to prove that he has the ability to contend against this field.
- FIRST RACE: 3-Tackle, 1-Kaz’s Beach, 6-Ancient Times, 8-Make Motime.
- SECOND RACE: 1A-Wegotoldyougotsold, 1-Win With Pride, 6-Deep Sea, 2B-Brush Country.
- THIRD RACE: 4-Fractorzation, 1-Saratoga Love, 5-Graetz, 6-Magnolia’s Lady.
- FOURTH RACE: 1-Civil Union, 4-My Sister Nat, 5-Eliade, 7-Complicit.
- FIFTH RACE: 5-Olympiad, 3-Directional, 4-Regular Guy, 1-Munqad.
- SIXTH RACE: 5-Timely Tradition, 4-Pop A Choc, 7-Say Moi, 6-Don’t Call Me Mary.
- SEVENTH RACE: 9-Hidden Enemy, 1-Restored Order, 2-Fulco, 7-Sifting Sands.
- EIGHTH RACE: 2-Microsecond, 3-Good Old Boy, 1-Klickitat, 1A-Stanhope.
- NINTH RACE: 6-Dr Post, 1-Happy Saver, 7-Mystic Guide, 4-Jesus’ Team.
- TENTH RACE: 1-Kimari, 5-Frank’s Rockette, 4-Secondary Market, 7-Center Aisle.
- ELEVENTH RACE: 2-Tacitus, 4-Global Campaign, 3-Moretti, 5-Spinoff.
- TWELFTH RACE: 9-Traffic Pattern, 4-Doubly Blessed, 14-No Lime, 1-Our Country.
Judge N Jury (second), Saratoga Pal (sixth), Light in the Sky (eighth).
Record for meet: 89-for-371.